Krenov Style Apron Planes Batch III
Just a bit of an update. The bodies and sides for batch III have now all been rough milled and will be cut to size next weekend. I made a couple extra planes that will be for sale once completed. I think the combination of the woods & figure I selected for these will make these hard to part with. Thanks again for your patience everyone! Between the long wait for a replacement motor for my bandsaw and very long weekly hours at the day job as well as regular at home work it's been difficult to find the time to spend in the studio.

Take Care
As I'm making progress on batch III planes I'm thinking about what will come next. Rather than making more apron planes I'm thinking about offering planes with 1.5" - 2" blades with chip breakers. Even more so I'm thinking radiused / coopering planes since these are something you don't see offered to often.

What are your thoughts, would a radiused / coopering plane interest you? These would be in the $400 range so I'm looking for feedback before moving forward.

Thanks,

By "radiused plane," do you mean a curved plane like a scrub plane, a cove-profile plane, or a curved plane like a carriage plane with a fixed curve?

or something else that I am blanking on?

The pics have me totally confused.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(11-04-2022, 09:47 PM)iclark Wrote: By "radiused plane," do you mean a curved plane like a scrub plane, a cove-profile plane, or a curved plane like a carriage plane with a fixed curve?

or something else that I am blanking on?

The pics have me totally confused.

Hi Ivan

The blade on this plane is radiused and the sole is also radiused to match the profile of the blade. This could also be called a coopering plane.
(11-05-2022, 07:16 AM)Timberwerks Studio Wrote: Hi Ivan

The blade on this plane is radiused and the sole is also radiused to match the profile of the blade. This could also be called a coopering plane.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense.

Sounds like it could be very useful for someone doing that sort of work.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
The thought of building larger Krenov planes will be moving forward. 1.5" Hock blades set into riftsawn Bubinga bodies, $350.00.  With 1.75" blade $355.00. With 2" blade $360.

Please contact me if interested.

Thanks,
Just a quick update for all on status:

Batch III planes are about half way to completion. Sorry for the delay. I was without a bandsaw for a couple of months and until just this past Friday I have been working overtime at the day job including Saturdays. That being the case I only had limited time working on the planes. Please accept my apologies for the delays.

Thanks for your patience!
Anyone know what happened with these? Haven’t been on in a while and haven’t heard anything about the 3rd batch of planes.
Hi Mainely

I haven't been on for awhile myself. Batch III is still in the works. The stock I had on hand was showing some hairline cracks so I ordered in new stock. These blanks are stickered and will be ready to go at the end of the month. It took awhile to find riftsawn stock for the apron planes & the full size smoothers.

Also, with the cost of heating the studio I've been holding off on going in there until a bit warmer temps come around.
Any updates on this? Been over a year since I sent in payment. Fine to keep waiting if it’s going to happen, just want to make sure it didn’t get forgotten!

Dave in Denver