Open ended drum sander
Years ago, I had small Craftsman open ended planer. I guess the idea was, you could do wider material, because it was open ended. Didn't work worth a crap! Both sides were never the same. Does the same hold true for open ended drum sanders?  Thanks  Greg
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
(07-04-2022, 02:44 PM)Gregor1 Wrote: Years ago, I had small Craftsman open ended planer. I guess the idea was, you could do wider material, because it was open ended. Didn't work worth a crap! Both sides were never the same. Does the same hold true for open ended drum sanders?  Thanks  Greg

Probably for ones sold by Craftsman!  But I had a Delta 1836 open ended drum sander and it sanded perfectly parallel faces, never an issue.  You had to tune it so that it would sand parallel, but I had to tune my 24" double drum sander, too.  

FWIW, Williams and Hussey planer/molders are open ended and amazingly accurate and versatile little machines, so it is possible to make an open-ended planer that works as it should.  

John
What he said^^^^^. I also had a Delta 18/36 and it was never a problem. My current one is a Supermax 19/38 and it will sand flat as well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I had the Ryobi one and it seemed to keep things parallel as well. I never really pushed it very hard as far as the amount of material being removed though. It may have flexed with a bigger bite.
I had the early performax open side, the first openside on the market. I got a mismatch. I also got a mismatch with my W@H But that was 40 years ago. And the performax was at least 20 years ago. I now have a 24 inch general international drum sander, so I do not pay attention to the open sides anymore. I did sell the preformax and get the 24 inch instead, to get rid of the problem.

Any mismatch on the surface that rests on the table will telegraph through to the top where the sanding is done. All my problems were from a long time ago. I guess if others are not experiencing the problem, then it must have been engineered out in the process of time. It seems like everything get new and improved over time.

Tom