Gluing purpleheart
Is there anything in particular I need to be aware of for gluing purpleheart? I know for some oily exotics people wipe with acetone prior to gluing, but don't know if purpleheart falls in this category. Also, would hide glue (titebond version) work? This is my typical go to adhesive, but I sometimes also use TB3.

I have used Titebond 2 and have never had a problem. Never did a wipedown.
(07-05-2022, 12:07 PM)Turner52 Wrote: I have used Titebond 2 and have never had a problem. Never did a wipedown.

Ditto.
(07-05-2022, 01:52 PM)K. L. McReynolds Wrote: Ditto.

Same here, no problem with TBII, never tried it with hide glue.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
If you prep the pieces and then let them sit in a warm shop for a long time, you may find that the surfaces of an oily wood actually look a bit slick (as in oil, not sanding polish).

If it looks like there may be oil that has oozed to the surface, then that is the time to de-grease the surface before gluing.

Whatever you use for de-greasing, test it on a piece of scrap to make sure that it is not a bleaching agent for that species of wood.

The pieces of purpleheart in my shop do not seem to be very oily when compared to lignum vitae (yeah, that is an extreme comparison).

I haven't been doing much gluing in my shop since I started turning, though.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.