Worksharp 3000
Quick question. I have access to some 1000 and 2000 hook and loop discs. How do you think it'll work on a Worksharp 3000 with a psa to hook and loop conversion disc? I may be overthinking the "flex" (if any) in hook and loop.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
IIRC, there were some posts a couple years ago where people had some issues with the blade sharpened on hook-and-loop not being as crisp as on the PSA.

If your touch is light enough, I expect that things would be better on the wide-blade attachment (disc spinning roughly perpendicular to the blade edge) vs feeding a chisel in from below (where the flex/dent in the sharpening surface would be more on one side of the chisel than the other).
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(07-05-2022, 06:38 PM)museumguy Wrote: Quick question. I have access to some 1000 and 2000 hook and loop discs. How do you think it'll work on a Worksharp 3000 with a psa to hook and loop conversion disc? I may be overthinking the "flex" (if any) in hook and loop.

I think bad idea if you want to grind a flat edge.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
A few years back, I abandoned the use of paper on glass for that reason. I found that the paper would very slightly curl under the pressure of the blade and I would end up with a slightly rounded edge; not as sharp as it should be. After switching to water stones and diamond stones, my bevels are flat and edges very sharp. I think you will have the same issue only worse.
There is a set of CBN disks for sale in S&S which are tempting me.
It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. - Voltaire
Know what, Bob? You win. CharlieD, 4/21/2008
I salute you. Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue!!!! CRR, 2/19/2008
(08-16-2022, 05:22 PM)MGoBlue1984 Wrote: There is a set of CBN disks for sale in S&S which are tempting me.

I saw those. Very tempting. 

I appreciate all of the responses. They have reaffirmed my suspicions. I'm gonna pass on h&l paper.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(08-17-2022, 10:06 AM)museumguy Wrote: I saw those. Very tempting. 

I appreciate all of the responses. They have reaffirmed my suspicions. I'm gonna pass on h&l paper.
Good....Instead I recommend you try the six inch diamond laps from amazon..They work great on the Worksharp..I have them to 3,000 grit. They are inexpensive and Nothing cuts like a diamond!! As a side benefit, you can sharpen your carbide router bits on the diamond plate.....They are diamond coated heavy steel plates that are very flat.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Timberwolf you have an Amazon link to the diamond plates?
It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. - Voltaire
Know what, Bob? You win. CharlieD, 4/21/2008
I salute you. Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue!!!! CRR, 2/19/2008
(08-18-2022, 09:25 PM)MGoBlue1984 Wrote: Timberwolf you have an Amazon link to the diamond plates?

I don't have it handy but you just need to go to Amazon and type in "Six inch diamond laps" and it will take you there. I have several of them..there doesn't seem to be any difference in quality between the different manufacturers. They cut quickly and the 3,000 grit can produce a shaving-sharp edge if you remove the wire edge on a strop...If you have the glass platten that comes with the machine, you can apply a tiny amount of micron diamond paste to it and take your sharpening to a new level...Amazon has that also.

I usually use the laps dry because if you use a light oil, the centrifugal force can "sling" it all over the place. Just don't press down on the tool so hard it galls the diamond..Press lightly and let speed do the work. You'll get the feel for it quickly.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(08-16-2022, 04:24 PM)Willyou Wrote: A few years back, I abandoned the use of paper on glass for that reason. I found that the paper would very slightly curl under the pressure of the blade and I would end up with a slightly rounded edge; not as sharp as it should be. After switching to water stones and diamond stones, my bevels are flat and edges very sharp. I think you will have the same issue only worse.

Well said. That is the reason I do not use a belt sander to sharpen anything. A lot of knifes sharpeners use belts and if used the belt needs to be so that the belt cuts away from the edge not into it. I use water stones for sharpening my chisels and plane irons and I only cut using the pull stroke. A sharp edge can also be pushed into the soft stone.

Tom