Dado blade
I had some time on my hands so I thought I would tackle a project I've had in mind for a while now. Since 2012 actually. I don't like to just jump into things without thinking them through. In 2012 I bought a 1988 Chevy 1 ton truck with a Stahl utility box on it. It's been a great truck, but an 88 Chevy 1 ton doesn't come with many amenities, like a center console with arm rest, cup holder or power ports. So I made one.

But this post isn't about the console so much as the dado blade I used when making it. It was my Craftsman Excaliber dado set. This set consists of 2 blades on a dial, that separate into a wedge shape for different widths. It can be set from 1/4 to 13/16,  in 16th inch increments. I cut plywood and oak. I was really surprised at how well it worked. I had it set for 1/2". It actually cut well under that, but that's ok as 1/2" plywood isn't 1/2" anyway. Like I said, it worked very well. Much better than I expected, but it does have some limitations. There is no fine tuning it. Once you set it for a certain thickness, that's what you get. You cannot shim and fine tune the thickness like you can with a stacked set. Also, being a wedge shape, it's hard to measure to the side edge of the blade. You can't be absolutely sure you are at the very widest point of the wedge. Also, I don't know if this set can be sharpened or not. I don't think it's designed to come apart and separate. Maybe someone else may know. But at least it does not wobble like I have seen with some dado set ups. I can't imagine that being good for the saw, or anything else for that matter. If I saw an Excaliber set come up for sale, I would probably buy it. I would use it for my less demanding projects, and save wear and tear on my good stacked sets. I don't know if there is another brand out there using this design.
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Your console sure did turn out nice, I like that.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(07-08-2022, 07:02 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Your console sure did turn out nice, I like that.

Nice job.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
Nicely done on the console...curious what keeps it in place should you have to suddenly decelerate?
There is a strap running front to back, under the seat, with a buckle. My wife insisted, and I always do what my wife says.
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.