Resaw blades
(07-09-2022, 09:30 AM)jteneyck Wrote: You can make a tension meter for your saw for the cost of a dial gage and an hour of your time.  Here's the one I made and used to correlate the factory tension indicator with actual tension.  

Tension meter

Sorry, that link requires a Google login and I don't  feel like giving Google more tracking information tonight.

I tried building a tension gauge like this one:  http://www.solowoodworker.com/tools/resaw.html  These gauges are extremely sensitive and I had trouble getting repeatable results.  Now that I have a gauge, I also have trouble getting repeatable results, but it's better.  Now that I see how sensitive these are, I would make sure and build it as precisely as I can.  Anyway, wasn't a slam dunk for me.

I have a friend with one of these:  https://www.eztension.com/ and we keep meaning to compare with the Lenox gauge, but haven't yet.

Mark
(07-09-2022, 02:13 PM)camp10 Wrote: I was just going to ask what folks thought about a carbide tipped blade.    I need a resaw blade for my Harvey C14 and was wondering if I should 'buy once cry once' for a resaw blade.

The Harvey C14 is supposed to be the same as the old Laguna SUV, so it should have no trouble tensioning a 1/2" or maybe even 3/4" Laguna Resaw King. 

You can't just buy a band saw blade once.  There are a lot of ways for a blade to fail other than getting dull.  They can come off the wheels.  They have bind in a cut and kink.  The weld can break.  They can rust on the wall while you use other blades.  And on and on.

If I had a new saw, I would not start with a carbide blade.  I would start with a less expensive blade to get the feel for the saw before spending the big bucks.

Mark
(07-09-2022, 08:10 PM)MarkWells Wrote: Sorry, that link requires a Google login and I don't  feel like giving Google more tracking information tonight.

I tried building a tension gauge like this one:  http://www.solowoodworker.com/tools/resaw.html  These gauges are extremely sensitive and I had trouble getting repeatable results.  Now that I have a gauge, I also have trouble getting repeatable results, but it's better.  Now that I see how sensitive these are, I would make sure and build it as precisely as I can.  Anyway, wasn't a slam dunk for me.

I have a friend with one of these:  https://www.eztension.com/ and we keep meaning to compare with the Lenox gauge, but haven't yet.

Mark

When you're OK with logging into to Google take a look at my tension gage.  High precision is not needed in the construction.  Knowing how to use it is key, and I explain that in the description.  

John
(07-08-2022, 05:34 PM)Don_M Wrote: They are expensive - but for my money I would go with a Laguna Re-Saw King which is carbide tipped band and can be re-shapend up to 5 times (I have one and have resharpened it 3 times already). On that basis the average cost comes down to something reasonable (which includes dealing with Laguna which can be a pain sometimes!)

https://www.rockler.com/laguna-tools-res...bide-blade

Probably not on a 14" saw though. The only carbide bandsaw blade I know that might fit a 14" saw is Lennox Trimaster. Lennox makes a 1/2" 3 TPI blade with a .025 thickness band. Most carbide bands are .032 thick or more so harder to tension plus most are wider than 1/2". Be sitting down when you check the price.

https://www.toolcenter.com/35612-TRB9-2820.html
Thanks very much Mark for pointing out the problem accessing the link I posted above.  Let's see if I have it right now so that everyone can see the information on my website about making and using a tension meter. 

John
(07-07-2022, 12:44 PM)Jack01 Wrote: I am looking to buy a resaw blade for Rikon 14" bandsaw

Did some search and found some info

Highland woodworking  Woodslicer  it has 2/3 variable-skip teeth - Thickness 0.025 issue is it dulls quickly
Timberwolves                                    it has 2/3 variable-skip teeth - Thickness 0.025   I have not seen any issues yet, I am sure there are issue
Wood craft  sell  Starret blades   I could not find any specifications yet
Itura Design   He suppose to have blade comparable to   wood slicer,  he has responded to my message yet.

I am trying to get some feedback from users on which blades they use? results, is variable -teeth and advantage?

Thank you for everyone’s input
My Bandsaw is Rikon 10-320 Craftsman version take 99.75 inch long blade
It can handle ¾ inch blade , no issue  currently using a 3 TPI, High Hard carbon ¾ inch blade for resawing, it works ok, it does crate saw marking on the wood.
I do tension this all the way up,  Higher tension it gives smooth cut, lower tension it does leave more marks.
I never heard of Supercut before, thank for the info. Not sure about the Carbide Impregnated Teeth, I am willing to try, their cost on this blade ½” width will be $ 36.57 plus $ 5.72 shipping.
I called local bandsaw blade supplier, I can get Starret in ½” , 4 TPI , Kerf 0.025 bimetal for $ 40.00
Resaw King sound good but not in consideration due to price, I do not do enough resawing to justify the price.
Should I get ½ inch or 3 /4 inch blade? Will the width make difference?
(07-11-2022, 05:07 PM)Jack01 Wrote:  Thank you for everyone’s input
My Bandsaw is Rikon 10-320 Craftsman version take 99.75 inch long blade
It can handle ¾ inch blade , no issue  currently using a 3 TPI, High Hard carbon ¾ inch blade for resawing, it works ok, it does crate saw marking on the wood.
I do tension this all the way up,  Higher tension it gives smooth cut, lower tension it does leave more marks.
I never heard of Supercut before, thank for the info. Not sure about the Carbide Impregnated Teeth, I am willing to try, their cost on this blade ½” width will be $ 36.57 plus $ 5.72 shipping.
I called local bandsaw blade supplier, I can get Starret in ½” , 4 TPI , Kerf 0.025 bimetal for $ 40.00
Resaw King sound good but not in consideration due to price, I do not do enough resawing to justify the price.
Should I get ½ inch or 3 /4 inch blade? Will the width make difference?

The 3/4" will cut straight more easily if your saw can put at least 20 ksi on it.  Don't assume it can just because Rikon says it can use a 3/4" blade.  Manufacturers consistently overstate the capability of their products, imagine that.  Measure it.  My 14" Delta says it can use a 3/4" blade but can't put more than 12 ksi on a 1/2" blade.  If it can't then go with the 1/2".  Adequate tension on a 1/2" blade trumps a 3/4" blade at low tension.  

John
(07-11-2022, 08:57 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Thanks very much Mark for pointing out the problem accessing the link I posted above.  Let's see if I have it right now so that everyone can see the information on my website about making and using a tension meter. 

John

John, thanks for posing this.  -Howard
(07-09-2022, 09:30 AM)jteneyck Wrote: You can make a tension meter for your saw for the cost of a dial gage and an hour of your time.  Here's the one I made and used to correlate the factory tension indicator with actual tension.  

Tension meter

J
ohn

Thanks for posting that John. I am going to try to make one.
Smile
(07-12-2022, 12:59 PM)paul2004 Wrote: Thanks for posting that John. I am going to try to make one.
Smile

You're welcome.  It's an easy build but let me know if you have any questions about the build or use.  

John