Thinking About a DF 500 Domino
Hi guys,

I have a bunch of projects coming up that will require numerous mortise and tenon joints. I have a Powermatic 701 that I’ve used in the past. I like to hear from those who have a DF 500 and if they believe it can take the place of a mortise and tenon joint. This would be a huge time saver and I can also use it to joint boards.

I can get it from Amazon and if I sign up for a Visa card I can get $200 off and maybe 18 months interest free financing.

Below are the two items I’m looking to get. Do I need anything else?

Festool 574432 Domino Joiner DF 500 Q Set

Festool 498899 Assorted Domino Beech Tenons and Cutters in T-Loc Systainer

Thanks,

Mike
I bought what you are considering used.  I have had it 2 years and if it vanished I would quickly replace the machine but not the assorted tenons.  .  It seems that every time I go to make something I need a different sized tenon.  I gave up trying to stock what I could need.  I made a bunch of stock in the various thicknesses and widths and cut lengths I need.  I would get each sized bit, or maybe it comes that way.  

Indeed it is a fast way to assemble a frame.  I now install frame and panel backs in my case pieces because it is so quick to do with this machine and they look good.  I made two small tables this week.  Trivial.  

You will be impressed how thoughtful it was designed. It is easy to accurately target the mortise.    

Caution:  while the tenons provide the racking resistance of a conventional M&T I have had a withdrawal failure under stress.  I think the roughness of a conventional M&T hand chopped provides larger withdrawal resistance.
Bill Tindall
(07-07-2022, 04:52 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: Hi guys,

I have a bunch of projects coming up that will require numerous mortise and tenon joints. I have a Powermatic 701 that I’ve used in the past. I like to hear from those who have a DF 500 and if they believe it can take the place of a mortise and tenon joint. This would be a huge time saver and I can also use it to joint boards.

I can get it from Amazon and if I sign up for a Visa card I can get $200 off and maybe 18 months interest free financing.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike

I have DF 500 for couple of years, once I start using it , I though how I did without it.
It is excellent machine, it has served well, It is quick and precise.  great investment.

Regarding assorted Tenons in Systainer  , that will be your call   you may not use all the different size tenons, but Keep in mind the Systeiner alone is worth $ 75.00  without systainer you need to figure out a storage system  You can buy the tenons and Bits separate as needed. If you have a router table you can make your own tenons.

I have Assorted kit, I like it as storage.

DF 500 is great machine, it does retain great resale value. If you decide to sale it you will at least get back 80% of what you paid.

How about a vacuum ? do you have vacuum where you can control the flow of suction, tool activated? is it 27 MM ? so you can hook up the DF 500 or you need to get a connection piece to attach to the vacuum.
(07-07-2022, 04:52 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: Hi guys,

Thanks,

Mike

I have the df500 and the assortment of tenons in a Systainer and really like it for ease of use and wide use across multiple situations.

I’ve had a hollow chisel mortiser and tenon sled,
A woodtek matchmaker,
Leigh FMT
Dowel jig,
Biscuit joiner
Home made Pantorouter 

The df500 is hands down easier to setup and use than any of the above.

I’ve sold the woodtek matchmaker,
Leigh FMT,
and need to list the biscuit joiner, hollow chisel mortiser, and tenon sled for sale.

I bought the df500 used, but would buy new rather than wait on a rare deal if it were stolen.

Duke
You will be quite pleased with the Domino, I bought mine (well) used and it's still a champ.But I would pass on the tenon set, there are some of the sizes available from Taylor Tools as an aftermarket item, and the last time I checked they were quite a bit cheaper and just as good as the Festool tenons.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Ill echo what others have said.  It is my go to tool for both cabinet construction and panel or table top constuction.

I own the systainer with assorted dominos and am glad I do - but I do use one or two sizes much more than the others but still it keeps all of them neat and organized - and its a great starting place

I bought a domiplate last year and it is a great accessory

Domiplate™ for 1/2" and 3/4" nominal ply – Seneca Woodworking

You do need a good vacuum for the domino  not necessarily the festool one but you do need one
(07-08-2022, 07:59 AM)Wipedout Wrote: Ill echo what others have said.  It is my go to tool for both cabinet construction and panel or table top constuction.

I own the systainer with assorted dominos and am glad I do - but I do use one or two sizes much more than the others but still it keeps all of them neat and organized - and its a great starting place

I bought a domiplate last year and it is a great accessory

Domiplate™ for 1/2" and 3/4" nominal ply – Seneca Woodworking

You do need a good vacuum for the domino  not necessarily the festool one but you do need one

Thanks for the info. Yes, I do have a good vacuum I use on other tools. I will need to get a hose atachment that will fit.

One question, why do you feel you needed the Domiplate? I thought this was dead accurate. I did watch the video but is the DF 500 flawed?

Nevermind. I looked at the second video and it explained it better. Looks like a worthwhile accessory to get. Thanks
It's worth every penny. It saves time and it's built like a tank (as are most Festool products). You can purchase the tenons or make them yourself. One feature I really like is that you can vary the width of the mortise to allow for a very tight fit or a looser fit. Where strength is important, I opt for a tighter fit. If I'm just trying to align things (e.g. panel build up), I'll choose the looser fit. For really big tenons, a DF700 may be the tool you want, but I find the DF500 perfectly adequate. Nothing says you can't put more than one tenon in a joint. I like the tilt feature also. Great for tenons in miter joints, etc.,
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I only know of one guy (on the internet, not in person) who regretted getting the domino machine.

As for the dominoplate, do you mostly build with sheet goods? If not, don't get it, at least not until after you've used the machine for a while and find it lacking in handling sheets. The machine as designed can work with sheet goods with no issues. Mind you, sheet goods 3/4" or 1/2" are not necessarily exact in thickness, and in fact, centering the mortises is unnecessary in 99.9% of the cases.

Get the systainer kit if you plan to build projects of all sizes; it is cheaper than buying the cutters individually as you need them down the road.

Simon
Was that guy me? I don't really love my 500. The 700 is the bee's knees for the picnic tables and planter boxes I make with my son's scout troop. Very fast, makes assembly a breeze, especially since Scouts under 14 can't use battery drills or power tools of any sort. One of the best choices I've made for large scale projects.

I do not have the same love for my 500. I use it for some case work and frame and panel because it is fast and the joints don't show. But I frequently find the joints don't quite align as consistently as I'd like, and I inevitably end up fiddling with alignment more than I'd like. This isn't really a problem with my larger scale projects that live outdoors.

Not that the 500 isn't fast, it just didn't live up to the expectations I had for it after using its bigger brother. I still use it with some frequency, but I like other joint methods better for furniture I intend to go the long haul.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!