walnut cutoffs
I had lots in my shed (all rough) milled all to the largest size I could. 
Am remaking the desk for my secretary and wound up with more than I need. So that $$$ saved.

Jim
Jim
Jim, my favorite wood to work with.   Takes a stain beautifully.
I always struggle with throwing out smaller walnut cut offs more than any other wood
Smile

Excellent wood for small boxes.   In the last couple of years, I've recycled some church French doors and a baby grand piano of walnut into a number of jewelry boxes, a memory box, some game boxes, and a curio bookcase.  Still have a small pile of pieces left over.
Years ago there was a hardwood milling/grading operation nearby.  I would raid their cutoff bin of any walnut shorts, especially those with knots.  I could get some pen blanks with lots of interesting grain from around the knots.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I was lucky enough to get the back 3 x 3” pieces of what I think is spruce from the back of a very old piano. Beautiful tight and clear grain. I’m hoping they will be box material for something special. Now I just need to find the time to use it…