Clamping
(07-15-2022, 10:02 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: I’m right again. Bill really does know something the rest of us don’t (maybe more than one thing). Thanks for the explanation, Bill.

What do you use/recommend in unclampable joints? Like hand cut dts, m&t etc? I use hot hide glue. Tried it in tapered dowel joints and it failed. I think I extruded all the glue out with clamp pressure.

For "slidy joints" I use liquid hide because it lubricates the joint as though it was greased and makes my sometimes too tight joints slide together with ease.  Also, even when my joints are perfect  (right
Smile   )  I like to assemble a case piece in one go at it .  A complicated 7 or 9 drawer case piece could have dozens of joints to get together at one time before the working time of the glue expires.  Again, liquid hide is the winner.  When I don't need the time or lubrication I used what the furniture factories use-  regular Titebond.  

While on the subject of liquid hide, it can be made liquid with urea.  Urea in a water environment decomposes to ammonia.  Ammonia attacks the animal protein that hide is made from and renders it a weak glue.  If you hide smells of ammonia don't use it.    Franklin uses a different chemical to make the glue liquid. This chemical does not attack the protein.  I store Franklin hide in the frig.  It lasts for years stored this way.

When in doubt test it.  How is another discussion.  For now I need to teach visiting granddaughter to make a tasty Mex. dish for dinner.
Bill Tindall