Workbench Top Material
For the bench in my shop...almost 8 years ago.....used the side boards from a Waterbed.....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
It boils down to cost. Benches made in Europe are made out of Beach because it is a common wood there just like Maple is here.  Beach is more of an open grain wood, maple is not. Personally I would select Ash. It absorbs a blow from a hammer of mallet. Hard Maple, Oak, and some others  bounce back. Ash trees are dying right and left here so and the trees are going to the land fill. Ash is an open grain wood but not as much as Beach

If a person is going to spend the time to make a work beach then it should be the eye catcher of anyone coming into your shop, male of female. It will speak volumes about your skill level.

Please note that there is a difference between a Lie Nielsen style bench and a bench built out of whatever the person had available, could afford, or had the tools, and or, skill to build at the time to build.  A bench that was needed at the time. I am assuming that you are well passed that stage and want a really nice bench. And now and can afford the material cost for the wood and vise hardware as well as the time to build it.

Tom.
(07-16-2022, 07:06 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: It boils down to cost. Benches made in Europe are made out of Beach because it is a common wood there just like Maple is here.  Beach is more of an open grain wood, maple is not. Personally I would select Ash. It absorbs a blow from a hammer of mallet. Hard Maple, Oak, and some others  bounce back. Ash trees are dying right and left here so and the trees are going to the land fill. Ash is an open grain wood but not as much as Beach

If a person is going to spend the time to make a work beach then it should be the eye catcher of anyone coming into your shop, male of female. It will speak volumes about your skill level.

Please note that there is a difference between a Lie Nielsen style bench and a bench built out of whatever the person had available, could afford, or had the tools, and or, skill to build at the time to build.  A bench that was needed at the time. I am assuming that you are well passed that stage and want a really nice bench. And now and can afford the material cost for the wood and vise hardware as well as the time to build it.

Tom.

The wood is spelled BEECH. It sounds like you are not familiar with beech. It is not an open grain wood like you claim. Ash has large pores; beech does not. Beech is not ring porous like ash. Like ash, beech absorbs shock and so makes a good workbench material. 

American beech grows here in the United States and is generally cheaper than hard maple. 

Beech has been the premier workbench wood for centuries.
(07-16-2022, 07:06 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: It boils down to cost. Benches made in Europe are made out of Beach because it is a common wood there just like Maple is here.  Beach is more of an open grain wood, maple is not. Personally I would select Ash. It absorbs a blow from a hammer of mallet. Hard Maple, Oak, and some others  bounce back. Ash trees are dying right and left here so and the trees are going to the land fill. Ash is an open grain wood but not as much as Beach

Tom.

Thanks for the information. I did look at the eastern hard maple and the cost was almost twice as much as European Beech. I have a classic Record 52 1/2 inch vise and a Emmert Pattern makers K1 vise sitting in the shop ready to be installed on a bench. The Lie Nielsen style bench in my opinion is simple and functional. It looks nice and I enjoyed using them when they use to have their shows. In regards to the appearance of the bench, I understand that a quality bench makes a statement and I appreciate people who take the time to construct a beautiful bench. Even though I am retired I would rather spend time on woodworking projects than building an elaborate bench. I have been using a Sjoberg bench I got off craigslist about 15 years ago and anything I build will be an upgrade!

Tom.

I forgot to ask in my first response to you. Is there a particular style of bench you prefer? My primary use for the bench is hand tool work. I do a lot of hand planing, sawing dovetails, and chisel work. The LN bench looks simple and functional to me but if there is something better ill certainly listen and do more research. Also, if you ever start resurfacing hand planes again please let me know. I have a flat side 605 that could sure use it. 
Jim
(07-17-2022, 12:24 AM)amtc Wrote: I forgot to ask in my first response to you. Is there a particular style of bench you prefer? My primary use for the bench is hand tool work. I do a lot of hand planing, sawing dovetails, and chisel work. The LN bench looks simple and functional to me but if there is something better ill certainly listen and do more research. Also, if you ever start resurfacing hand planes again please let me know. I have a flat side 605 that could sure use it. 
Jim

any machine shop can surface grind a plane bottom.  Figure about 1/2 hr to 1 hr shop time depending on how efficient they are at fixing it to the surface grinding machine.  When I have had it done the center of the plane was clamped in the kind of vise used on a drill press or milling machine and "jacks" were installed under each end for support. Light passes.  Cast iron grinds easily.
Bill Tindall
For me, weight and durability of the top would be priority. I built my first bench top out of honey locust. HL isn’t anything to brag about when it comes to legacy bench tops but it’s hard, heavy, and it was super cheap. If you plan on planing, chopping mortises or exerting much of any kind of energy towards the bench, you need a heavy bench, IMO…..but any bench is better then no bench. I still remember hand chopping mortises on the concrete floor when I built my first one. I was definitely determined.

Some out there will build a bench to get work done on.  

Some out there want a  "show piece" bench....that others would be scared to work at.....well, maybe serve a fancy dinner on?

Some benches look so nice and pristine....makes one wonder IF any work gets done ON them. 

Others?   Look well used, like some worker actually worked at that bench.....and each nick, gouge, scratch and hole tells a story.     Which is why they are known as Work Benches....because they are indeed for work.     And they earn their keep.....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(07-17-2022, 11:45 AM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: For me, weight and durability of the top would be priority.  I built my first bench top out of honey locust.  HL isn’t anything to brag about when it comes to legacy bench tops but it’s hard, heavy, and it was super cheap.  If you plan on planing, chopping mortises or exerting much of any kind of energy towards the bench, you need a heavy bench, IMO…..but any bench is better then no bench.  I still remember hand chopping mortises on the concrete floor when I built my first one.  I was definitely determined.

Thanks for the information. In regards to weight according to the calculators I was using online the plywood I referenced in my first post would be the heaviest. The plywood I am talking about isn't the typical plywood you find at box stores. Its similar in construction to Baltic Birch plywood. I believe each sheet is close to 130 pounds. It's a solid birch core, void free. Some of the negatives I can think of with plywood is that I cant resurface the top but, I have had my current Sjoberg bench for about 15 years and have never even thought about resurfacing it and it takes a beating. My shop also doubles as my garage and despite my constant begging to my wife and daughters to stop putting their drinks on horizontal surfaces I have lost that battle so the top will see abuse. I appreciate all the feedback/advice and will continue to do research. 
Jim
If you’re primarily a power tool woodworker who occasionally needs to fine tune with a plane or do some chisel work, I think you’ll be absolutely fine. I am typically a cry once kind of guy but there’s something to be said about “done” being better than perfect or “my dream…..blah”. It’s easy to put off, put off, and keep putting something off because you don’t have the time and/or money for “perfect” right now. I have found myself in that situation too many times and before you know it, nothing gets done!

You’ve gotten plenty of good advice so in the end you’ll have to decide what’s best for you. I will add one other thing. Consider joinery with the top and legs which will realistically prevent racking. Hard to beat a big M/T joint with benches. Stretchers as well. I’ll also add to consider commercial grade cork if you’re using lag bolts to attach your top to the base. It can help prevent annoying squeaks. Just a thought.