Delta Unisaw
Cannot recommend the Shark Guard for the Unisaw enough. I have had one on mine for 10+ years and it is ALWAYS on my saw unless I am running a dado blade.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
(07-12-2022, 02:53 PM)Gregor1 Wrote: I bought my Delta unisaw used a few months ago. I am guessing it was bought new in the early, to mid 90's. It is serial # 9815724 ( 0 ) I think. I cannot find a model #. It does not have a riving knife. Did it ever? Did someone remove it?

I had a Unisaw back in the 80s, the splitter/blade guard was a bolt-in-place unit, and was one of the reasons I upgraded to a SawStop. The contraption was such a pain to install or remove that it spent most of its life in a drawer
That’s one of the reasons I like the micro jig splitter. Granted, there’s no guard with anti kickback paws, but the micro jig splitter is easy to put on or take off. Using a splitter is a must, IMO. I also use 2 Grippers hand over hand with this splitter. To each their own but this combo has worked well for me.

I guess I'm stupid. Can someone explain the difference between a splitter and a riving knife?

Thanks Greg
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
(07-25-2022, 08:05 AM)Gregor1 Wrote: I guess I'm stupid. Can someone explain the difference between a splitter and a riving knife?

Thanks  Greg

Essentially a riving knife is a splitter that raises and lowers with the blade and can be used in non-through cuts.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
(07-25-2022, 09:25 AM)Cub_Cadet_GT Wrote: Essentially a riving knife is a splitter that raises and lowers with the blade and can be used in non-through cuts.

And since it raises and lowers with the blade, there's really no reason to have to take it off.  

And the riving knife may be a little closer to the blade than a splitter.
Delta made a couple splitters for the Unisaw.  A disappearing splitter and a drop in splitter (part number 1349941) (not sure that's the official name)

I have the drop-in splitter for mine and at one point at least SharkGuard made different height splitters to fit it.

will all the upheavals at Delta, they prolly don't make the drop-in splitter anymore.  but maybe someone has NOS.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

RE. Delta Disappearing (dropping) Splitter. I installed one on my circa 19878 Unisaw. The model that I had only fit a right tilting Uni-saw. 

Not sure if the design was ever revised to fit a left tilting saw or a redesigned especially for left tilt saws.