Delta Unisaw
I bought my Delta unisaw used a few months ago. I am guessing it was bought new in the early, to mid 90's. It is serial # 9815724 ( 0 ) I think. I cannot find a model #. It does not have a riving knife. Did it ever? Did someone remove it?
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
No riving knife but most likely a splitter with the blade guard which is often removed. I’m sure you can find aftermarket offerings. I have a MJ splitter on mine and it’s worked wonderful for many years. Cheap too.

(07-12-2022, 02:53 PM)Gregor1 Wrote: I bought my Delta unisaw used a few months ago. I am guessing it was bought new in the early, to mid 90's. It is serial # 9815724 ( 0 ) I think. I cannot find a model #. It does not have a riving knife. Did it ever? Did someone remove it?

I seem to remember back when I was first getting back into woodworking (vs DIY carpentry), Delta did a promotional on their new-and-improved Unisaw. I attended a demo at the local Woodcraft. The addition of the riving knife was one of the new features.

I am having trouble remembering whether that was late-'90's or early-'00's.  Either way, yours would have been prior to that.

If you are right about the date and what I remember about the re-launch of the Unisaw, there may not be anything on/in your Unisaw that was not made in China.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I thought the new Delta Unisaw with the riving knife had both wheels on the front of the saw.

The previous model without the riving knife had one wheel on the front and one on the side.

someone was making an aftermarket riving knife for the unisaw.  dunno if they still are.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Going from your serial number, that saw was made in January of 1998. (First 3 digits of the serial number are manufacturer's date, the year followed by the month of that year.)  That saw is American made, and you have no worries about it holding up. I had a similar saw (made in 2000) and loved it. It did not come with a riving knife, it actually came with a splitter...part of the most unhandy guard assembly you could imagine; and that's probably why it's missing. The splitter Like someone said above aftermarket splitter, or even a home made one, are available and the do the same job. The new model Unisaw has the riving knife, but it wasn't introduced until the late 2000s. ('08-'09 or thereabouts, I think). Biesemeier made a snap in splitter for it, I had one and it was the cat's meow. They aren't in production anymore but if you stumble across a used one it would make a nice addition.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(07-13-2022, 07:21 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Going from your serial number, that saw was made in January of 1998. (First 3 digits of the serial number are manufacturer's date, the year followed by the month of that year.)  That saw is American made, and you have no worries about it holding up. I had a similar saw (made in 2000) and loved it. It did not come with a riving knife, it actually came with a splitter...part of the most unhandy guard assembly you could imagine; and that's probably why it's missing. The splitter Like someone said above aftermarket splitter, or even a home made one, are available and the do the same job. The new model Unisaw has the riving knife, but it wasn't introduced until the late 2000s. ('08-'09 or thereabouts, I think). Biesemeier made a snap in splitter for it, I had one and it was the cat's meow. They aren't in production anymore but if you stumble across a used one it would make a nice addition.

and now I am reminded why I don't trust my memory for how long ago something happened.
Blush

it sure feels like I have aged more than 13 or 14yr since I attended that demo at Woodcraft.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
On my circa 1997 "Great White Edition" unisaw, I use this removable splitter, which was a part of the overhead Uniguard system; its fastened with a knurled nut that slides over an existing post, I remove it for crosscutting. I see they still sell them, kinda pricey at $80, I think I paid $40 for mine, but over 20 years ago so price is close to inflation adjusted pricing. Highly recommended.

https://www.renovoparts.com/1349941s-splitter-assembly/
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I'm not sure of the manufacture date, but I have a Uni with a pull-up splitter. I remove the insert, pull up the splitter, and then replace the insert. The over-arm blade guard with anti-kick-back pawls is supposed to be mounted to the under side of the top, then go about 6" above the table, left of the blade. I say "supposed" because I only had it on for about an hour of use.

A ceiling mounted blade guard with dust collection is on my "to do list".
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
If your saw is left tilt (I'm thinking it isn't) someone just posted a Bies snap in splitter (the one I alluded to earlier) for sale down in S&S.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have a Jet, Left Tilting JTAS-10XL-1. Any thoughts on whether  a Unisaw splitter is compatible?