Raised panel boxes
I have a new Porter Cable " Deluxe Dovetail Jig Combo Kit" still in the box. Bought it, but haven't played with it yet. Might be about time.

I am going to modify the next 2 boxes, and possibly the 2 already completed boxes. I'm not big on having things fall apart.

Thanks  Greg
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
(07-18-2022, 01:21 PM)Bill Tindall Wrote: Have you ever seen a box built by simply gluing the corners together with a butt joint?  Likely not.  It is a simple way to make a box, so why not, ask yourself.  The survival of your box will depend on the strength provided by the bottom.  Without the bottom the resistance to racking is provided only by the splitting strength of the oak corner.  Oak is especially weak in this regard because oak splints easily along the rays. 

That said, as a decorative piece the box will be fine.  It will not be subjected to destructive forces sitting on a shelf. 

If asked to design a box with paneled sides the corners would be posts or legs, top and bottom there would be rails mortised into the posts and the panel would be framed by the posts and rails.  This construction would accommodate wood movement and the M&T of rail to post would be structurally strong and rigid.  If I had in mind learning to make fine furniture I would acquire the means of dovetailing something like a box either with a Keller jig or by learning to hand saw them.
As an example, shown is a kitchen desk in ash with paneled sides.  The top rail is dovetailed into the post/leg, the rest mortise and tenon.  You are not far from being to build something like this desk.

Attached Files Image(s)

Bill Tindall
I added corner supports to the inside of the box. They aren't very attractive, but they do the job. Next time I will mortise joint the corners, if I can.

I built this coffee table / blanket chest about 30 years ago.
    I'm not sure just what I did to the corners, but so far it has held up OK. Even though some people think it's a park bench.

Hard to see in the pic, but apparently I sliced something into the corner joints to hold the miters together. It's been too long. There are also 2 matching end tables. One has a drawer, one does not.
    All these pieces were built from wood scavenged fro a bridge that was being torn down. All this oak use to be the guard rails on the side of that bridge. We got a LOT of oak from that very old bridge.

I guess the pic didn't go exactly where I thought it would.  Oh well.
Uhoh
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
(07-18-2022, 07:14 PM)Gregor1 Wrote: I added corner supports to the inside of the box. They aren't very attractive, but they do the job. Next time I will mortise joint the corners, if I can.

I built this coffee table / blanket chest about 30 years ago. I'm not sure just what I did to the corners, but so far it has held up OK. Even though some people think it's a park bench.Hard to see in the pic, but apparently I sliced something into the corner joints to hold the miters together. It's been too long. There are also 2 matching end tables. One has a drawer, one does not.  All these pieces were built from wood scavenged fro a bridge that was being torn down. All this oak use to be the guard rails on the side of that bridge. We got a LOT of oak from that very old bridge.

I guess the pic didn't go exactly where I thought it would.  Oh well.
Uhoh

The joinery is sound.  Sweet design for the top part of the piece.  I like it.  Overall a calm design and it is hard to pull off calm with bold grained oak.  Nice color too.  

The angled feet are out of place with the arced top lines.  I don't know what I would have done for the feet but not angles below that handsome arc.  Another arc?
Bill Tindall
One of the oak boxes is complete, except for the lid support. I got some in, but didn't like them. Ordered some others. Again mistakes were made, but I aint talkin'. I'm sure some of the eagle eyed pros will see the more glaring ones. For the record I don't mind constructive criticism at all. I welcome it. I watched some more You tube videos and learned about space balls. Whooda thunk?

The top got a little inlay treatment.

(07-20-2022, 02:38 PM)Gregor1 Wrote: One of the oak boxes is complete, except for the lid support. I got some in, but didn't like them. Ordered some others. Again mistakes were made, but I aint talkin'. I'm sure some of the eagle eyed pros will see the more glaring ones. For the record I don't mind constructive criticism at all. I welcome it. I watched some more You tube videos and learned about space balls. Whooda thunk? The top got a little inlay treatment.

Oak is a difficult wood to make the grain attractive when multiple pieces come together.  You have succeeded.  You have good eye for grain, especially in the front where the frame orientation and panel are just right.  In PIC 2 I would have oriented the piece the other direction, but I have a very talented friend that always orients grain like that what I consider upside down.  So you are in good company.  

The way to learn to turn is to turn 10 legs.  I got my start turning replacement spindles for the balcony of a theater.  The only way your furniture will get better is to gain more skills and that is by doing, not watching.  Keep stretching what you tackle.  Soon you will be limited by hand plane skills.  Essential for fitting.
Bill Tindall
The incorrect grain direction is one of my boo boos. It was not meant to be. The really stupid thing is, I did the same thing on the other oak box.
Rolleyes
Well, i thought it came out very nice....well done!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have completed another oak box, and a walnut box. The oak box got a lot more walnut inlay. The top had to be run through the table saw 8 times to cut the grooves. The assembled box, minus the top and legs, had to be run through 32 times. That's a lot of work for an old man. Then I started on the inlay. There are 120 total pieces of inlay in the completed chest. Tedious, time consuming work, but I like the way it looks.[attachment=43574][attachment=43575]
    [attachment=43577]

[attachment=43580]
The pics are not very good. Sorry.

The walnut box got the same treatment with aspen. But I wised up a bit this time. I cut all the horizontal grooves, and inlayed them. Then I cut the vertical grooves and inlayed them. 40 pieces rather than 120. Don't take me long ! I actually like the thinner inlay on the oak box better, but the slightly wider inlay on the walnut box, allowed me to conceal six, #6 trim screws in each corner, securing the front and back to the sides. It shouldn't fall apart.

Although it may look like I purposely chose mis-matched woods, I really didn't. The walnut around here just isn't very good.
Gregor,

Both are very nice.

The oak with walnut inlay definitely triggered my "Wow!" response.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.