Bought some 5/4?
(07-18-2022, 08:20 PM)Gregor1 Wrote: The wood I bought was surfaced 2 sides for the most part. One board still needs some planning, to make it smooth. After that, it will be under 1".
Sounds about right. Remember 5/4 is what it was when it came off the saw. You have a some shrinkage due to kiln drying and you loose thickness when its milled.

5/4 lumber is not very common. As I mentioned the last time I bought any (S2S) it varied from 1 1/6 - 1 1/8"

General rule of thumb figure on losing 1/4-3/8" off a rough board, 1/16 - 1/8" off a surfaced board.

Decently surfaced lumber won't need much more than sanding.

Rough lumber:
4/4 will yield a 3/4 - 13/16 finished board
5/4 -> 7/8 - 1"
6/4 -> 1 - 1 1/4"
(07-19-2022, 09:03 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Sounds about right.  Remember 5/4 is what it was when it came off the saw.  You have a some shrinkage due to kiln drying and you loose thickness when its milled.

5/4 lumber is not very common.  As I mentioned the last time I bought any (S2S) it varied from 1 1/6 - 1 1/8"

General rule of thumb figure on losing 1/4-3/8" off a rough board, 1/16 - 1/8" off a surfaced board.

Decently surfaced lumber won't need much more than sanding.

Rough lumber:
4/4 will yield a 3/4 - 13/16 finished board
5/4 -> 7/8 - 1"
6/4 -> 1 - 1 1/4"

No, it comes off the mill thicker so that it will be at least 1-1/4" thick after drying.  

John
(07-19-2022, 02:35 PM)jteneyck Wrote: No, it comes off the mill thicker so that it will be at least 1-1/4" thick after drying.  

John

I expect a lot of people buy from local sawyers that may or may not follow the standard.  I've never had a problem buying from a reputable full service yard... although of all the three most 'common' dimensions, rough 5/4 will be closer to the actual thickness than either 4/4 or 8/4.  Most of the skip planed 4/4 I've bought in the past several years is still over 1-1/8 thick.
(07-19-2022, 04:14 PM)KC Wrote: I expect a lot of people buy from local sawyers that may or may not follow the standard.  I've never had a problem buying from a reputable full service yard... although of all the three most 'common' dimensions, rough 5/4 will be closer to the actual thickness than either 4/4 or 8/4.  Most of the skip planed 4/4 I've bought in the past several years is still over 1-1/8 thick.
I wish that were true around me. About 1/2 the 4/4 cypress I bought is less than 1" thick rough. And that's been my experience with most sawyers, and I've been to mills as far away as NC - same thing. Bought some 12/4 walnut fresh cut actual thickness was 2 7/8".

If I want true 4/4 boards they way they're supposed to be, I have to request they saw it 1 & 1/8. And they don't like that.

I don't think it's because they don't know as much as they want to get as much lumber out of the log as possible.

I also think there are lots of guys running sawmills as more of a hobby who just don't know.
(07-17-2022, 04:13 PM)Gregor1 Wrote: That is to say 5/4 rough will yield completely surfaced lumber at a minimum of 1".
This is smooth both side at slightly over and inch. Maybe that's why he considers it 5/4.  ????????

( I was able to get it on a Sunday.  I guess that's worth something. )

That sounds correct, IMO.  If you bought 5/4 wood already surfaced on both sides, the end result should yield 1" thick boards.  Now if they were rough cut at the thickness you bought, I would say that's 4/4 you bought as there's no way you're going to get a finished board to yield 1" if it's rough cut at that thickness..