How and how much to fix this floor?
Tenants moved out 2 weeks ago.  Property manager sent before/after pics and highlighted some areas of our hardwood that are damaged.  Actually, their pictures didn't do it justice.  These are mine.  They are supposed to get quotes so we can deduct it from the security deposit.  Since we're moving back in, manager isn't going to see any more rent money so I'm guessing they're not so motivated at this point.

The tenants had a dog and a cat (which we approved) so it was probably one or both of them.

When I saw the "stain" (their words) for the first time, it was obvious someone tried to fix it and gave up.  The oak boards on the big one have shrunk back leaving 1/16" or more gaps, and IMO need to be replaced.  I don't want wood filler.  The smaller stain (about 8" circle) can probably be sanded out.  Then someone has to do some color matching.

The large area is about 1' x 2'.  One of the past owners actually left lots of extra oak boards but I know that's the cheap part of all this.

What are your thoughts on how to fix and how much it would cost for a pro to do it?  Apparently it's been difficult to find someone to come take a look.

Thanks
Paul

Cut out the damaged boards, "stitch" in new ones, and then sand/stain/finish to match the rest of the floor.  I couldn't guess how much a pro would charge, but I would think in this day and age, you'd have a problem getting someone to agree to that "small" of a job.
(07-19-2022, 08:19 AM)brnhornt Wrote: Cut out the damaged boards, "stitch" in new ones, and then sand/stain/finish to match the rest of the floor.  I couldn't guess how much a pro would charge, but I would think in this day and age, you'd have a problem getting someone to agree to that "small" of a job.
If you can find some to do it for less than 500 bucks, I'd count my blessings.
I think you’re looking at an entire floor re-finish.   That’s a big enough job for flooring contractors and they should be able to weave in the new boards. 

Whole house will run a couple of grand + a few hundred xtra for the weaving. Unfortunately there is no good way to solve your issue at a low price - and the tenant’s deposit won’t even begin to cover the total cost. 

If you have oak floors - no cats !
(07-19-2022, 09:59 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: I think you’re looking at an entire floor re-finish.   That’s a big enough job for flooring contractors and they should be able to weave in the new boards. 

Whole house will run a couple of grand + a few hundred xtra for the weaving. Unfortunately there is no good way to solve your issue at a low price - and the tenant’s deposit won’t even begin to cover the total cost. 

If you have oak floors - no cats !

I agree.  Only way the pro is going to guarantee a match is if they refinish the floor in the entire room.  

If you're that picky, the best cheap-ish approach is see if you can find someone to come replace the boards, then YOU can find a stain to match.  When you can't find a stain to match a worn in floor, you can blame it on the replacement boards.
FWIW if you end up reinstalling new flooring yourself you can get somewhat closer to matching the surrounding color by experimenting with some TransTint dyes. I removed some corner cabinets that had dark stained red oak flooring underneath but the surrounding floor had been redone in a much lighter natural stain 15 years ago. Over those years the color mellowed and didn't match any off the shelf stain color. 

After sanding it down I used TransTint brown and yellow mixed with a water based poly I was able to get pretty close...not perfect but good enough.
Leasing laws are very renter friendly apparently...

I got a price today from the property manager's contractor --$1200 for the big stain and $900 for the small. He would replace boards and stain to match the surrounding area. The property manager needs to make a calculation based on the age of the floors, etc, and prorate the quote based on the remaining life. That's how much we can claim towards the security deposit.

Based on that number it will be a DIY or I may actually open up my wallet. My wife wants me working on other things and she knows how I can get trying to get a project just so.
(07-19-2022, 04:41 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: Leasing laws are very renter friendly apparently...

I got a price today from the property manager's contractor --$1200 for the big stain and $900 for the small.  He would replace boards and stain to match the surrounding area.  The property manager needs to make a calculation based on the age of the floors, etc, and prorate the quote based on the remaining life.  That's how much we can claim towards the security deposit.

Based on that number it will be a DIY or I may actually open up my wallet.  My wife wants me working on other things and she knows how I can get trying to get a project just so.

I’d consult your attorney before making any decisions.  What good is a security deposit if your stuff is old ?
I’d cut them out and lace in new ones if you have a satin or low matte sheen. Or the original sheen of the rest of the floor isn’t too dulled. Lacing in isn’t hard but sanding to match the rest of the floor with hand sanders will take some talent. I have a spot I need to repair on my floors and I may actually take the new boards, that will be a bit proud, down to the matching surface with hand planes and then carefully sand. My floors are natural white oak with a matte finish though.

unless you are experieced in floor sanding and matcing oak I would recomend biting the bullet and opening your wallet. The black in the oak might go way into the wood. Before my health problems I was in construction in one way or another for over 40 years and could do most things. I stayed away from wood floors. If not perfect they just don't look right. I might have been able to do a good eneough job that every one might say it looked great. I would know where any flaws were and it would have driven me crazy every time I walked into that room. Might be partially insane already and therefore need to keep whatever is left.