Stair code and comfort
What do you do for stairs when you're adding or subtracting to the overall height between the top and bottom tread?

I think I'll still be within the 3/8" that code says I can be, but that means there's up to an extra 3/8" at the top of my stairs for one run, and -3/8" at the bottom of the stairs on a different run. We have a split level where the middle level is already hardwood.
(07-20-2022, 06:55 AM)atgcpaul Wrote: What do you do for stairs when you're adding or subtracting to the overall height between the top and bottom tread?

I think I'll still be within the 3/8" that code says I can be, but that means there's up to an extra 3/8" at the top of my stairs for one run, and -3/8" at the bottom of the stairs on a different run.  We have a split level where the middle level is already hardwood.

I think the typical way of dealing with this is to remove the last two or three treads in each run and shim under them to make up the 3/8" at the top of the one flight, and plane down the others to adjust for the -3/8" on the other.  Basically, you spread out the 3/8" mismatch gradually.  

John
(07-20-2022, 12:12 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I think the typical way of dealing with this is to remove the last two or three treads in each run and shim under them to make up the 3/8" at the top of the one flight, and plane down the others to adjust for the -3/8" on the other.  Basically, you spread out the 3/8" mismatch gradually.  

John

Thanks.  That's a good idea.
At the bottom of a flight, most people take a larger step anyway, so 3/8" is noticeable. Not a hazard, and not quite enough for people to "stomp" their foot. At the top of a flight, 3/8" is a trip hazard. I would spread it out over three risers, and more important to avoid a trip hazard is to keep all he nosings on the same plane.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"