Sad day.
(07-21-2022, 09:20 PM)toolmiser Wrote: You didn't tell us the rest of the story?  Who delivered it, and were you notified?  I wish the delivery services would at least ring the door bell when delivering (and our UPS person will).  I don't expect them to wait for me to answer though.  We have two doors facing the street so there have been times something has been delivered and we don't know it.

Wish you success.

Noooo... it's my fault.  I moved.... and in the move,  I left a box outside accidentally.  Then... in good Griswold family fun style, I drove from NC to AZ and bought a camper and did that back through NM and CO etc.  I got home to find my oversight.  I almost cried.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
I think that the handle and the brass back are recoverable. The plate looks like the rust may leave deep pitting, and so should be replaced. Check with LN how best to do this - you never know, they may offer to do it for you (LN is good that way).

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
The saw can be saved. A friend of mine found his pair of Independence saws in a similar condition a few years ago. He sent them to me to refurbish. The blades were too far gone to clean, so they were replaced. The spines cleaned up easily, as did the handles. There was some staining on the smaller saw, but the owner did not want them refinished.

Before:

After:

Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Enguneer

Very nice work on those saws, incredible!
(07-21-2022, 07:17 PM)museumguy Wrote: Wow, very ingenious. Thanks for posting.
You can make one quickly out of an old flat bladed screwdriver.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(07-23-2022, 09:41 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ........................
You can make one quickly out of an old flat bladed screwdriver.
I have one I made out of a perfect handle screwdriver, they have a nice thick blade on, but tapered, but you can grind the end to even thickness. I normally slot my split nuts with [EDIT]1/16" (.064") slitting saw, and have one that fits it perfectly.

I also have one from a spade bit I made, I got that tip from Mike Wenzloff once upon a time. Mike was full of useful tips like that. I still use the tooth set trick on a machinist vise, using paper on both sides.

I have long felt another type bolt head with a square insert, or hex would work better than a slot.

OP, I might have left that handle on rather than taking it off. The split nuts next sit flush after the first removal, but that's a nice cleanup and just make sure they're tight. It was pretty rusty under there, water obvious soaked the box. Seems like a good time Put it to use. Don't be afraid to sharpen it, and if you don't know, take the time to learn. Don't be one of those guys that sends his saw out to be sharpened for him.
Smirk
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.