Heat and AC
It is getting close to the slab being poured for my new shop so I need to get my ducks in a row for heat and AC.
Because of the cost of wood, I went with a metal building - not a pole barn - the entire building will be metal and they will put it up.
After construction is done, I will have about 2" of foam sprayed on the inside of walls and roof.

The shop will be 30' x 50' with 9' sidewalls.  The ceiling will go up to about 10' in the middle.

My bothers gave me two hanging gas heaters and I would imagine one will do.  I do not know the BTUs for those units.  They took them down from the factory they owned.
Of course, I need AC!  The cheapest way would be to hang one or both of the heaters depending on the BTUs needed and then use a large permanent window type AC unit.

I have also looked at the mini-split systems.

What have you done in your shop?
Advantages of one way over the others?

What does the collective Woodnet brain trust say?

Toney
My shop is 32x50x10, and stick built. With R19 walls and R40 ceiling, I heat it easily with a 45K BTU gas ceiling furnace. I divided the building into 2 rooms, the woodworking shop being 32x32 and that's what i heat. The other half is for wood storage, mechanical work, etc...so I choose not to heat it. For AC, I have a 10K BTU window unit, and it's adequate if I'm not running the DC a lot. It seems the DC adds a lot of heat and can overwhelm the AC, though truthfully that hasn't been much of a problem so far. The bigger problem to me is the cost of running the window unit. I have a Kil Owat on it, and on hot days it can run over $2/day; and this is a fairly effeciant unit. I'm not that far from you (if I remember correctly) so I'm conditioning the same type of weather. This year I've left the window unit in storage, we had a huge increase in electric rates and it just wasn't worth it. I'm considering a min-split, principally for cooling though I may use for some heat on the not-so-cold days.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
This guy is difficult to watch, but if you can endure him, you will learn a lot about AC systems.
https://youtu.be/_-mBeYC2KGc
I have a 24K BTU window AC unit, through the wall in my 24 X 26 garage. I also have a 45K BTU ( I think ) hanging heater. Both are more than adequate for my space. 3 1/2" insulation in the walls, 12" in the attic. The biggest trouble is keeping them clean. The AC only gets ran on the hottest days. 90+

P.S. Unless the flies get too bad. Then I shut up all the doors. If I should disappear someday, it's because the flies carried me off.
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
I have an 18000 btu mini split heat pump.  I have a 22x26=572 sqft garage and the heat pump will do 750 sqft.   The next size down was 12000 btu and would do 500 sqft so went the next size up.  This heat pump heats and cools it with no problem.  Heat pumps can also dehumdify which is nice if you live in a hunid climate.  

I had an electric garage heater previous to installing the heat pump and that thing was very expensive to heat the shop.  I don't hardly notice the cost of running the heat pump on my electric bill compared to the electric garage heater.

You can get the DIY heat pumps like I did and it was pretty easy to install.  I needed a 20 amp circuit and had to cut a 2 1/2" hole in the wall to pass the line set through and then mounted the outside unit on the wall (had to purchase a wall bracket off Amazon for about $100).

VERY happy with the performance of the heat pump.  I bought the Perfect Aire unit at HomeDepot.
(07-21-2022, 12:31 PM)iublue Wrote: It is getting close to the slab being poured for my new shop so I need to get my ducks in a row for heat and AC.
Because of the cost of wood, I went with a metal building - not a pole barn - the entire building will be metal and they will put it up.
After construction is done, I will have about 2" of foam sprayed on the inside of walls and roof.

The shop will be 30' x 50' with 9' sidewalls.  The ceiling will go up to about 10' in the middle.

My bothers gave me two hanging gas heaters and I would imagine one will do.  I do not know the BTUs for those units.  They took them down from the factory they owned.
Of course, I need AC!  The cheapest way would be to hang one or both of the heaters depending on the BTUs needed and then use a large permanent window type AC unit.

I have also looked at the mini-split systems.

What have you done in your shop?
Advantages of one way over the others?

What does the collective Woodnet brain trust say?

Toney

Difficult to advise without knowing more about your climate.  But, as an energy manager I can counsel you if you plan to condition the air you need to prioritize your insulation.  The cost of your equipment will be dwarfed by the cumulative energy cost to run it.
(07-25-2022, 10:47 AM)srv52761 Wrote: Difficult to advise without knowing more about your climate.  But, as an energy manager I can counsel you if you plan to condition the air you need to prioritize your insulation.  The cost of your equipment will be dwarfed by the cumulative energy cost to run it.

I live in north central Indiana.  I thought my location was in my profile but I see it isn't and I can not find a way to add it to my profile.  Sorry.

The spray foam should make the building pretty air tight, probably too air tight and I will have to find a way to ventilate the building.

Thanks,

Toney
(07-26-2022, 06:48 AM)iublue Wrote: I live in north central Indiana.  I thought my location was in my profile but I see it isn't and I can not find a way to add it to my profile.  Sorry.

The spray foam should make the building pretty air tight, probably too air tight and I will have to find a way to ventilate the building.

Thanks,

Toney

Aha! A fellow Hoosier from my neck of the woods, kinda (Grant county).

2” of closed cell foam will indeed act as a vapor barrier and be air-tight and give you about an R-15.  2” of open-cell will retard the air flow and give an R-7.5 value.

For northern Indiana even the closed cell might be on the low side for a conditioned space.  Consider more.

The labor cost should be almost identical, so now would be the time to do it.
(07-26-2022, 06:48 AM)iublue Wrote: I live in north central Indiana.  I thought my location was in my profile but I see it isn't and I can not find a way to add it to my profile.  Sorry.

Thanks,

Toney

Iublue, if you go to your "user CP home" there is a column of options on the left  hand side.  One of them under the "Your Profile" is "Edit Profile".  If you click on that you will get a new menu.  Under "Additional Information" there is a field for location.  Just type in your location there.
(07-26-2022, 11:01 AM)BrentDH Wrote: Iublue, if you go to your "user CP home" there is a column of options on the left  hand side.  One of them under the "Your Profile" is "Edit Profile".  If you click on that you will get a new menu.  Under "Additional Information" there is a field for location.  Just type in your location there.

Thanks!  I can usually figure out or stumble my way to do something like editing my profile but not this time!