Fireplace Mantel Removal
Hello, 

I'm looking for advice on how to remove a 50 yr old fireplace mantel.  It's rather tight to the brick surface, so it's difficult to see how it attaches.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

[Image: qKgDKkgyQBaRyCCi6]

Thanks,
Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
without seeing it up close, my guess is  attachment is at the brackets.  look for plugs in the brackets  or anywhere else along the shelf.
could also be a french cleat holding it up/ on the FP.
My guess is also the brackets are screwed in with plugs in them. I don't think that mantel would have a french cleat but it might. I would look for plugs in the brackets or along the top back edge of the shelf.

Are you trying to save it? If not, get a bigger pry bar and have at it. If you are trying to save it, can you take it apart in sections?
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(07-21-2022, 07:25 PM)museumguy Wrote: Are you trying to save it? If not, get a bigger pry bar and have at it. If you are trying to save it, can you take it apart in sections?

I always try to save large boards, if for no other reasons than that I am a hoarder.  In this case however, I'm more interested in not damaging the brick wall.

Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
(07-23-2022, 04:05 PM)MarkSLSmith Wrote: I always try to save large boards, if for no other reasons than that I am a hoarder.  In this case however, I'm more interested in not damaging the brick wall.

Mark

That would be my answer as well. If it is an old install, it may be installed with cut nails. Prying on it should loosen it up. Work your way all along the length and width. Little at a time, easy does it. Should work.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry