Refinishing water skis
I build deck chairs from vintage wooden water skis. What is the best way to finish them? Some skis are painted, some are “varnished”.

I would think cleaning them with mineral spirits to remove any wax and other build up, then use oil based varnish?

(07-21-2022, 05:50 PM)goaliedad Wrote: I build deck chairs from vintage  wooden water skis. What is the best way to finish them? Some skis are painted, some are “varnished”.

I would think cleaning them with mineral spirits to remove any wax and other build up, then use oil based varnish?

If they are going to sit outside in the weather, then paint is the best thing.  Assuming that's a no-go, then Total Boat or Epifanes Marine varnish is arguably the best clear finish.  

John
(07-21-2022, 05:50 PM)goaliedad Wrote: I build deck chairs from vintage  wooden water skis. What is the best way to finish them? Some skis are painted, some are “varnished”.

if there is no finish on them- general fisnishes 450, sherwin williams A100 non tinted, or head up to HD and get quart  of behr exterior non tinted. NOT the paint and primer in one crap.