How about a new garage?
I got a quote for a new garage. 24 X 26. Typical 2x4 construction. Vinyl siding and roof to match my existing garage. 9 X 7 overhead door. 1 walk in door. Insulated, sheated, hanging heater, plumbing for a bathroom ( my wife insisted ) Electrical, lights and outlets. 150 amp service. My lot is on a slope. My house and present garage both have a walk out basement, this garage would not, but would require 8' foundation, footings, and a lot of fill. No  driveway. Are you sitting down?  92K will take you all the way.
Crazy I don't think there is a new garage in my immediate future.
Sad
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Holy smokes. Crazy money.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(07-23-2022, 12:24 PM)Gregor1 Wrote: I got a quote for a new garage. 24 X 26. Typical 2x4 construction. Vinyl siding and roof to match my existing garage. 9 X 7 overhead door. 1 walk in door. Insulated, sheated, hanging heater, plumbing for a bathroom ( my wife insisted ) Electrical, lights and outlets. 150 amp service. My lot is on a slope. My house and present garage both have a walk out basement, this garage would not, but would require 8' foundation, footings, and a lot of fill. No  driveway. Are you sitting down?  92K will take you all the way.
Crazy I don't think there is a new garage in my immediate future.
Sad

Paid $28.5 for my 24 x 28 in the fall of 2020.  Vinyl/shingles.  Two overhead doors, one walk, two openers.  Unfinished on flat ground.  I did the finish/electrical later.  The cost included demo/removal of the old garage.  I've often wondered what that would've cost today... but wouldn;t surprise me if was more than double.
Curious how much of that is:
Site work/grading
Bathroom (what would dropping all plumbing save?)
Insulation
Heater

guessing those combine for something between $40-$60K?

Could you do the garage without those and finish/add later? Obviously would need to put plumbing in the floor...
Where are you located? I think I'm going to be in the same spot you are with $$ vs what I want. I have blueprints, but I haven't started getting quotes yet. I'm afraid my garage/ shop is going to cost more than I paid for my house 15 years ago.
(07-23-2022, 02:04 PM)JosephP Wrote: Curious how much of that is:
Site work/grading
Bathroom (what would dropping all plumbing save?)
Insulation
Heater

guessing those combine for something between $40-$60K?

Could you do the garage without those and finish/add later? Obviously would need to put plumbing in the floor...

I got the quote on the phone. Once I heard it, I didn't ask him to break it down for me. Another contractor bid 34K to build just the shell of the garage on my foundation.

(07-23-2022, 02:49 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: Where are you located? I think I'm going to be in the same spot you are with $$ vs what I want. I have blueprints, but I haven't started getting quotes yet. I'm afraid my garage/ shop is going to cost more than I paid for my house 15 years ago.
I am in NW IL. I paid 35 K for my house in '88
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Garage/shop in Hawaii was $56k back in 2014. 1200 sqft slab on level ground with metal roof.
Probably double that now.
VH07V  
I started planning our addition in 2019. a 20x22 new family room, entire new roof, all new vinyl siding and gutters, 7 windows replaced, new LP fireplace. I was going to be the GC and sub everything out. At the time, the total would be around 88k. Covid hit and contractors got busy and materials went up. Talked to all the subs and several back out completely. The rest couldn't honor their original price. So I got all new numbers by May of 2021. Over half the subs would only do Time and Materials quotes.. I fully understand that. Prices for materials and labor were still going up. I came up with a new number... $122k. Just for kicks, I put the whole thing out to bid to GCs. I got prices anywhere from $120k to $150k. I contracted with a GC for $132. $10k more than I could have done it myself. Happily paid the extra 10k, especially since I got real busy at work.

We knew it was going to be a long project because of material and labor scarcity. They started in early Sept 2021 and finished in May of 2022. We couldn't get the siding, flooring or roofing we wanted. The Pella windows (15 total) were ordered the day after signing and they took 12 weeks. Any other decent brand would have taken about 20 weeks. Made a lot of compromises along the way. If everything was ordered on day 1, we could have shaved about 6-8 weeks of the job.

I saw the balance sheet at the end of the job and the contractor lost about $8k on the job. They would have profited if they could have got labor sooner.

If I were to do it again in this climate, I would have rented a storage unit and ordered everything except foundation block on day 1 and stored it for the contractor. It wouldn't have been cheaper but it would have moved faster.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I got a new 25X30 garage added to our property in Summer 2020 for about $29K.  Same company as KC did for his.  Price included pouring the slab on flat ground.  Ours was just a shell.  Two overhead doors; one double, one single, one side entry door.  No insulation, no electric, no plumbing, no heat.  I added electrical last summer, along with overhead door openers.  I use it for storage of rolling stock and my boat, so I don't intend to add heat or plumbing.

I feel lucky to have had it built when I did.  Lumber and other costs went sky-high right after the build.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")