Seems like the power tool gods are against me...
I picked up one of the 5" Festool Pro 5 corded sanders that was on promotion a few years back. The velcro pad just doesn't seem to be gripping very well any more. 
Is there a way to rejuvenate the pad, or is replacement the best way to proceed.
If replacement, is there an aftermarket version that actually holds up?
TIA
they do lose their grip - i have the 6" sander and have replaced the pad 2x's - mine was about $50 and an easy swap.
jerry
(07-25-2022, 02:27 PM)brianwelch Wrote: I picked up one of the 5" Festool Pro 5 corded sanders that was on promotion a few years back. The velcro pad just doesn't seem to be gripping very well any more. 
Is there a way to rejuvenate the pad, or is replacement the best way to proceed.
If replacement, is there an aftermarket version that actually holds up?
TIA

You should be able to buy an intermediary Velcro disk for it, for lack of the correct word, that goes between the pad and sanding disk.  Those cost a few $'s, at least for my two Bosch sanders.  

John
Thanks...I am going to try remove/replace the hook material on the pad first...If that fails, I guess a new pad is next...
There is self adhesive 5" and 6" wide product on the river site...If it works, I will have enough for several lifetimes of sander pad replacement, if not, I am sure I can find a use for it...
(07-26-2022, 10:05 AM)brianwelch Wrote: Thanks...I am going to try remove/replace the hook material on the pad first...If that fails, I guess a new pad is next...
There is self adhesive 5" and 6" wide product on the river site...If it works, I will have enough for several lifetimes of sander pad replacement, if not, I am sure I can find a use for it...

You’re wasting your time trying to glue something onto an old pad.  

Replacement is the only way to go, and that’s for any sander.  They are a wear part like tires or windscreen wipers on your car.  You don’t think the auto gods have cursed you when you have to replace them do you ?

Another piece of advice that jten alluded to (but won’t solve your problem) is a backup pad.  Those are absolutely necessary if your going to use the mesh abrasives that are all the range now.  Doesn’t matter what brand you use , or the model sander.  If you don’t use the backer - you’ll melt the Velcro hooks in a matter of minutes. 

If you”re not using mesh and still eat sander pads quickly  - look in the mirror.  You’re pressing down too hard when you sand.
I think you nailed it with the mesh backup pad (or lack thereof)...most likely what happened. Thanks for the heads up...
I am pretty conscientious about not overloading the sander with excess pressure, nothing good comes from forcing a tool...
Thanks again
(07-27-2022, 05:25 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Another piece of advice that jten alluded to (but won’t solve your problem) is a backup pad.  Those are absolutely necessary if your going to use the mesh abrasives that are all the range now.  Doesn’t matter what brand you use , or the model sander.  If you don’t use the backer - you’ll melt the Velcro hooks in a matter of minutes.

I don't remember anyone mentioning the issue with the mesh abrasives and Velcro hooks before. Makes sense.

I have been looking for an excuse to place an order for sanding supplies with Woodturning Wonders. Sounds like you just gave me one. Thanks.
Yes
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Tried an experiment, will have to let time dictate whether it works or not...mixed epoxy and some filler and after covering all screw and vacuum holes applied to cleaned but worn-out pad. After epoxy cured, reinstalled pad and sanded the epoxy on an 80 grit, then 120 grit sandpaper, and removed the hole covers. Cut a 6" long piece of 6" wide PSA velcro (hook side). Using a sander appropriate paper as a template, laid out holes on a piece of 1/4" lauan and drilled them out. Clamped the 6" wide velcro between the lauan and a backup piece of plywood, drilled out the holes (next time will use a punch). Cleaned the sanded epoxy pad with alcohol, aligned the holes and installed the velcro. Trimmed the excess velcro with a pair of heavy duty shears and Voila!
Not sure how/whether the epoxy will hold up long-term, but I now have a sander that works, and for very little cost, and enough velcro to replace 11 more times...
(08-07-2022, 04:04 AM)brianwelch Wrote: Tried an experiment, will have to let time dictate whether it works or not...mixed epoxy and some filler and after covering all screw and vacuum holes applied to cleaned but worn-out pad. After epoxy cured, reinstalled pad and sanded the epoxy on an 80 grit, then 120 grit sandpaper, and removed the hole covers. Cut a 6" long piece of 6" wide PSA velcro (hook side). Using a sander appropriate paper as a template, laid out holes on a piece of 1/4" lauan and drilled them out. Clamped the 6" wide velcro between the lauan and a backup piece of plywood, drilled out the holes (next time will use a punch). Cleaned the sanded epoxy pad with alcohol, aligned the holes and installed the velcro. Trimmed the excess velcro with a pair of heavy duty shears and Voila!
Not sure how/whether the epoxy will hold up long-term, but I now have a sander that works, and for very little cost, and enough velcro to replace 11 more times...

very well could last. i got tired of sticky back for my disc sander. cleaned the disc off good, then sanded with 120 grit,sprayed 3M super 77 on disc, peeled backing on velcro, applied to disc, cut off excess. 
i did that about 10 years ago. it doesnt get as much use as by hand sander but the velco is still on there good.
and sanding disc changes area breeze