Rikon Drill Press Runout
I have a Rikon benchtop drill press I've owned for some time now. I use it so little, I've never changed the speed on the thing. So, the brand doesn't matter. The question is, how do I get rid of some rather serious runout that seems to be getting worse? I drilled some holes in metal recently, and it was awful. Is there a way for me to adjust the runout away, or am I stuck buying a new drill press? 

I'm in North Carolina, though this DP has travelled with me for years since I lived in Indiana.
Try this:
chuck up a straight rod
turn the DP by hand and note if the rod always points off-axis in the same direction
if so, put a piece of paper/wood down and mark that direction

run the DP for a minute or so

repeat the first test-by-hand rotation

if the direction has changed, it is likely a bearing problem
if the direction is unchanged, it is likely a chuck problem

have you ever disassembled the chuck for servicing? if so, how sure are you that you got the jaws back in in the same places they came out of?

for those here who know this DP, is the chuck a taper fit?

hopefully, there will be someone better than me along soon to give you better advice.
Winkgrin
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
If it didn’t do this in the past, and it hasn’t been used in a few years…there’s a chance it’s as simple as belts with “set” in them. Belts work better when used. Just a thought.
earl
(07-28-2022, 07:30 PM)greenacres2 Wrote: If it didn’t do this in the past, and it hasn’t been used in a few years…there’s a chance it’s as simple as belts with “set” in them.  Belts work better when used.  Just a thought.
earl

Good thought. I'll check it out....
(07-29-2022, 11:05 AM)JimShaffer Wrote: Good thought. I'll check it out....

Putting on link belts would take care of the belt set problem.
S.E. Alabama, formerly from Wisconsin.
(07-28-2022, 11:57 AM)JimShaffer Wrote: I have a Rikon benchtop drill press I've owned for some time now. I use it so little, I've never changed the speed on the thing. So, the brand doesn't matter. The question is, how do I get rid of some rather serious runout that seems to be getting worse? I drilled some holes in metal recently, and it was awful. Is there a way for me to adjust the runout away, or am I stuck buying a new drill press? 

I'm in North Carolina, though this DP has travelled with me for years since I lived in Indiana.

Sometimes a dull or badly sharpened drill bit can give you a fit when drilling into metal.  Bargain basement drill bits are often not worth the time it takes to put them in the chuck.
Is the chuck on a Morris taper shaft? You could try resetting it.

If it were bearings you would hear a noise.

I'd start looking for another drill press.
(08-01-2022, 08:15 PM)Wizard of Oz Wrote: Putting on link belts would take care of the belt set problem.

An AX "cogged" belt is supposed to take care of the set problem too and for less $$. AX belts have a smooth top and are supposed to run quieter as well - less air disturbance than link belts. I have no personal experience with AX belts, I only have link belts running on a Grizzly 1023 saw and don't have an urge to change what is working well. Actually I'll take that back. I also have a link belt on a cheapy Delta radial drill press. It has no means of adjusting belt tension
Uhoh Adding or removing a link allows me to adjust the belt tension.