Drum Sanders
Yes. Either direction, minimal cuts. My maple planed beautifully.
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
DW733.....same planer I started with (still have it). Its a 2 knife head and has a feed rate that is to fast. Don't think there is an aftermarket head, not cost effective on that old of a machine.
Sorry, but chipout is why mine got upgraded.

Nothing you can do to stop it.

It was marketed as a "jobsite" planer.....

Ed
I did some checking and discovered the feed rate on my planer is 26' feet per minute, which is fast compared to some others. I see Dewalts new planer has an adjustable feed rate. Maybe I need  a drum sander and a planer.
Big Grin
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
(07-31-2022, 10:24 AM)Bill Tindall Wrote: The sander is not a good way to either sand or thickness.  It is the best way to accurately size.  And it has application when veneering with home made veneer and preparing bent laminations.  
And remove mill marks, particularly planer compression marks, if you don't have a helical head.

Every board I plane goes through the drum sander.

Not germane to the question, just thought I'd add that.

I don't see where any difference would be table vs. head moving. I don't see it any different than a planer table vs. head moving.
I have found that tearout can be a great indicator of the sharpness of the blades.
Also as stated above, try reversing the feed direction of the wood to see if the grain pattern may be part of the reason.