New offering for a Disston No. 9 (backsaw)
I've been on a Bad Axe mailing list for 10 years,  but I don't hear about them on this forum much.

Here's their newest released product:
http://www.badaxetoolworks.com/14-inch-N...ck-saw.php
Chris
(08-10-2022, 07:38 AM)C. in Indy Wrote: I've been on a Bad Axe mailing list for 10 years,  but I don't hear about them on this forum much.

Here's their newest released product:
http://www.badaxetoolworks.com/14-inch-N...ck-saw.php

Bad Axe saws are nice, but came along a little late to find a place in my shop.  The saw you posted about was my first saw from Mike Wenzloff, over ten years ago.    Mike's withdrawl from business was a real loss to the hand tool community, and in my opinion, he made a better saw than Bad Axe, particularly compared to the so-called hybrid-filed models.
I’ve got 2 Bad Axe saws, a Sash filed CC and a rip Tenon. They’re very good but fall just short of great, imo. For me the balance seems a bit off compared to my old Disstons (carcass and sash) and my Independence (pre LN) and Adria dovetail saws. I never bought into Mark’s hybrid filing hype. I am sorry I didn’t have the opportunity to buy a Wenzloff. Too late now, their prices have reached the stratosphere.
I look at this as a niche saw. You either have a desire to collect different types of saws, or you have a frequent need to saw in tight spaces (the reason for that particular design).

I can get real vintage Disston No. 9 Reagan Patent for $245 from Jim Bode. No doubt, Bad Axe's modern remake is higher quality and won't need restoration, but the $100 premium is too rich for my blood. Especially for a backsaw. A crisp LN dovetail saw is exactly half the price. Even Rob Cosman's fancy dovetail saw is only $300.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill