Another box project?
Still had a bunch of resaws left over....decided to build a frame & panel version....IF anyone wants to follow along...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Sounds good to me.

Frank S in IA
I'm in.

,,,,,,,,,,, , ,,,
Started out..
Had 4 pairs of book-match boards..

and..

Thinking I could glue these up into 4 panels...

None were the same size..yet....well, 2 can be a bit longer...all were roughly 8" wide....decided to rip them all down to 5".......crosscut two to 9" long...the other two to 6" long...then had to plane them all flat...

Took a while...

Ok, now have the panels for a Frame & Panel Box/ Chest.....need to decide on a lid of some sort...and build the frames....had a 7/8" x 6" x 65-1/2" plank I could bring down to the shop...had a stretch of barky live edge...

Figured I could cut out the best of this section....then rip the remains down a bit..

Might be just enough here?  ( it wasn't..) And had some spalt showing..

Maybe try to work some of this in...accent pieces?  that 1x 6 cost me about...$3...or so..

Strips were ripped to 1-1/2" width.....decided that was a bit too wide for the size of this box...chose to rip about 1/8" off the bad edges...final width being 1-3/8" wide. 

had to rough cut all the parts for length....8 stiles all the same length....4 long rails, and 4 short rails...decided that will do, for now...

Long rails...and..

The shorter stuff..
Stay tuned...
Decided that 7/8" was a bit too thick...wanted to resaw the frame parts to 5/8" thickness..talking 16 parts here.   Hand plane?  No.   Handsaw..too much cardio...tablesaw?
Hmm..there is an issue with that plan....1).  the plywood overlay I use had broken...and 2).,,,,

That red throat plate ( the way the saw was made, BTW) So, cut a new Zero Clearance Overlay from 1/4" plywood...lower the saw blade all the way down...

Use the rip fence as a hold down.....turn the saw on, slowly raise the blade until it is all the way up..

And shut the saw off....reset the fence to 5/8" between the fence and the blade..

Since there is not enough room in there for my fat thumb...

Will have to use this custom made Push stick...blade is just high enough to make the cut in a single pass..

Which left another issue...

Need a groove made to house the panels....hmmm..may have to rebate the "inside" edges of the panels...

Something like this?   Reset the fence...run the 4 panels through on an edge...adjust to get a consistent rebate....

Then the matter of grooves....parts are a bit small....work holding is an issue....when thinking of using the Stanley 45....fence gets in the way....

Blade is a "Thin Kerf"...fine for some things....not for doing grooves...without a few adjustments...took 5 passes per part x 16 parts....

Then reset ( removed the ZCO) for 16 tenons...

I think that will do...for a start...

Stay tuned...
Tenons will need a haunch...to fill in the groove..

Here is half of them...

To better locate where the bottom mortise will go, need to cut some feet...

Bandsaw to cut...drillpress to sand..

To connect the corners, I use a Tongue and Groove joint

Somehow in the midst of milling that on the tablesaw...an "extra" rebate turned up

Cleaned up with a router...

And a few test fits..

Needed to reset the mortise jig....used to be set for 3/4" thick parts....needed to be 5/8", now...

Because next up, will be a chopping of Mortises...need a few tools set out..

Stay tuned...
Lots of mortises to chop..so..

All the same...use the tenon to lay them out. chisels to chop..test fit..

Helps IF one cleans out the crumbs in the bottom...more dry fits..

Once they look like this...time for the glue, glue brush, cauls, and clamps...

Because of the tongue on the end panels..I had to use the front/back stiles to help keep the clamps in place...And the cauls to keep things flat..

Ends are glued up...can work on either the front or back, once the clamps come back off...

Ends are done, and have been cleaned up....

Means I can get one of the longer sides dry fitted, glued up,  and later removed from the clamps...

So I can get started on the last side..
Stay tuned...
Had an issue with the last side's panel...tried a dry fit..

Needed to trim the rebates a bit..

Not a problem, clamp the panel into the vise, No. 3 Stanley to shave a bit off..test the fits until..

Complete the last 2 mortises, and then another dry fit..(once all the chips were removed..)

Looks good?   Time for glue, a glue brush, some clamps and some cauls...

Cauls are to keep the joints flat...let this sit a day..

Until later..when everything gets glued and clamped up...

Start here..

End here...let this sit a full day

Stay tuned..
Clamps have come off...clean up time..

Looking for high spots...

Needed to do a little ripping...

1/4" x 3/8" strips, called slips...there was also a 1/4" plywood panel to cut down...simply turn the box over onto it's top, and sit it on the plywood..trace around inside..then cut away the waste...

Back to the slips...as I need to miter the ends...

And fit and glue at least 2 slips into place...

Dry fit...then..

Let these 2 sit a day...I also had a bit of resaw to do...

To get all the parts for the lid the same 5/8" thickness...

Next day..

Get the other 2 slips fitted and glued in place..

And get the plywood bottom test fitted..
Plane to remove a few wavy spots the bandsaw had left...

Stay tuned...was a very busy Saturday...
While the glue for the slips dried...got busy....

Lid parts...goal was to miter the "frame"

And get a panel cut to rough size, and glued up into a panel...

And, while this sat a day...worked on the frame a bit more...

Had to level the frame's parts...resaw wasn't flat enough....then work on a not so simple miter joint...

Looks simple enough?   Hmmm...

Not a spline, that there is a Tongue & Groove joint....

Once things came back out of all them clamps..

A bead of glue, brushed out on top of the slips..plywood panel dropped down into the glue...3 hand planes to press the panel down into the glue, until it dried..

And let these two glue ups sit the rest of the day....

Stay tuned..

Panel taken out of the clamps, flattened..needed trimmed and a tongue milled on 3 edges..

Dry fitted and then glued up...

Let sit a day...Monday?  We'll see, stay tuned..