My old drill press has died
For over 40 years I've had an old camel-back drill press with Morse 3 taper capacity.  Great for large bits in wood, and a must-have for metal work. I've got bits up to about 1 1/2", and at low speed settings it turned the bits at about 50 rpm! With a 3 hp motor, bits under 1/2" were a risk, and I use a smaller drill press for those. Drilling some 1" holes in 1/4" steel plate this morning I was treated to the sound of what sounded like breaking drive teeth as I was finishing the second of two holes. I'm going to miss it, have started looking for a replacement. I've entered a posting in swap and sell. I'm not adverse to going to a more modern drill press, but it's got to have Morse Taper #3 capacity.

Attached Files Image(s)

Sorry for your loss.

The mt3 is the killer, been looking for one myself, preferrably a 20" Delta. They are hard to find.

Ask on owwm, someone might have a parts machine for you.

Ed
So does that mean you’re just going to chuck it?
VH07V  
(08-18-2022, 09:20 PM)EdL Wrote: Sorry for your loss.

The mt3 is the killer, been looking for one myself, preferrably a 20" Delta. They are hard to find.

Ed

Many years ago I had a 5hp Johnson outboard motor that had two teeth stripped off one pinion gear..I bought the engine in a box for junk and decided to build up the stripped portion of the gear with spring steel wire..using my oxy-acetylene rig..Then, using small files, I filed two new teeth..When finished it was hard to tell what I had done..I used that engine on my 12ft boat for two years and never had a problem with it again.

Something like that may be worth a try and you may be able to save your old drill press. You never know what you are capable of if you don't try.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(08-18-2022, 09:39 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ....................
Many years ago I had a 5hp Johnson outboard motor that had two teeth stripped off one pinion gear..I bought the engine in a box for junk and decided to build up the stripped portion of the gear with spring steel wire..using my oxy-acetylene rig..Then, using small files, I filed two new teeth..When finished it was hard to tell what I had done..I used that engine on my 12ft boat for two years and never had a problem with it again.

Something like that may be worth a try and you may be able to save your old drill press. You never know what you are capable of if you don't try.

I've not yet opened it up, or even figured out HOW to open the gear drive. It's inside the largest of the pulleys on the top belt-driven shaft. The grinding sound made me think that it had decided to strip the teeth off of one or more of the gears. I'm not up to rebuilding gear teeth, would need to find a machine shop willing to tackle the job, and it's not a simple matter just to move the beast. It would, however, be a shame to have it melted down for scrap.
Could the grinding sound have been one of the bearings going? If so, that might be a while lot easier to replace than the gears.

OWWM is certainly a got place to get help and info.

Tyler
(08-18-2022, 10:03 PM)thewalnutguy Wrote: I've not yet opened it up, or even figured out HOW to open the gear drive. It's inside the largest of the pulleys on the top belt-driven shaft. The grinding sound made me think that it had decided to strip the teeth off of one or more of the gears. I'm not up to rebuilding gear teeth, would need to find a machine shop willing to tackle the job, and it's not a simple matter just to move the beast. It would, however, be a shame to have it melted down for scrap.
It would, however, be a shame to have it melted down for scrap

It sure would...
Sad
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(08-18-2022, 09:20 PM)EdL Wrote: Sorry for your loss.

Ed

I lucked out, found an older 20 inch Craftsman with Morse Taper 3 in local craigslist and it's now in my van. Now looking for some youngster (I'm 80 years old) to help move it inside. I'm hoping to be able to find someone that would undertake restoring my camel back press to life rather than having it gone to scrap. I'm thinking perhaps I could get $100 for it as-is, and of course the buyer would have to pick up the tab for freight as it won't find in my mailbox.
Good find on the c-man, I've only seen 1. A 20" with a-mt3. Owned by a guy that drilled/fitted bowling balls.

Ed
(08-19-2022, 02:48 PM)thewalnutguy Wrote: I lucked out, found an older 20 inch Craftsman with Morse Taper 3 in local craigslist and it's now in my van. Now looking for some youngster (I'm 80 years old) to help move it inside. I'm hoping to be able to find someone that would undertake restoring my camel back press to life rather than having it gone to scrap. I'm thinking perhaps I could get $100 for it as-is, and of course the buyer would have to pick up the tab for freight as it won't find in my mailbox.

There might be sources for replacement gears assuming that's the problem. The trick would be finding them. As an example, a company called Boston Gear sells a replacement gear for a Delta Benchtop Spindle Sander that is prone to breaking and is no longer supported and has limited or no parts available. If you can access the area with the failed parts you might get lucky.