Purple heart
New to turning Purple Heart. I cut some pen planks at 45* for grain pattern. Results are awesome but it's like turning a rock. 
Crazy I have read about heating it to restore the color but never tried it. When heated will it cover the grain pattern? My supply is limited so I can't test it. Any input will be appreciated.
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
Roger , maybe not any input of help to you but about 7 years ago I quit making Deer Calls for Hunters as EBay flooded the market. One I made from Purple Heart and couldn’t get any bites on an interested buyer .
Never was quite fond of the looks and I either still have it tucked away or was one I gave out for young folks to use .
Overall I’m saying I wasn’t impressed at the least with Purple Heart but like my 90 year old Dad says “ to each their own “ . Enjoy your turning
What the Heck, Give it a Try
That's kind of why i was asking. Not at all impressed with the look.Only have the one piece to work with. Using it to decode if i want to pick up more. So far not looking good.
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
It’s also rather splintery and chippy.
VH07V  
You could just expose it to sunlight or florescent light for a couple days to restore the purple color.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
If anyone is interested heat does bring the color back. That being said, I'm still not impressed. Looks ok on a cutting board but not on a pen turning. I finished it to the standard 7 coats of CA and polished that i usually finish with just to be fair.
Roger

9-11 Never forget
(08-20-2022, 10:54 AM)firefighter Wrote: If anyone is interested heat does bring the color back. That being said, I'm still not impressed. Looks ok on a cutting board but not on a pen turning. I finished it to the standard 7 coats of CA and polished that i usually finish with just to be fair.

that's pretty wild and something i hadn't heard of before.  i think anytime i've used purpleheart, it was always with something else.  but, on it's own, i kinda agree i'm not a massive fan.  although, the endgrain can look kinda cool.  made a pipe with mostly purpleheart, but some holly accents  --  pretty happy with how that turned out.