Jointer/Table Saw layout question
(A mobile base for the jointer isn't in the cards *just yet*.  Maybe after I get a MIG.) 

This weekend I'm attacking the atrocity that is my shop mess and layout.  

The mess is inefficient, depressing, and demoralizing.  
Crazy

That admission aside, my shop is only 24x24 but filled with large-ish equipment, and in the coming months I need to add more, such as a dual drum sander and a MIG welder.

I currently have 43" between the motor side of my PM66 and the user side of my 12" jointer.  And then 59" between the back of the jointer and the wall. 

The jointer's bed is 1" lower than the TS top.
 The fence on the jointer comes off in about 30 seconds if needed.  I have a dedicated Unisaw for crosscutting.

I'm contemplating rotating the jointer 180* and pushing it against the TS' motor side.

This will open up more space on the far side of the jointer while still allowing me to joint boards up to 10' long.  I *never* cut full sheets of plywood; I break them down with a circular saw and straight edge before trimming on the TS.

I'm thinking that the space opened up against the wall would make more efficient use of my band saw and a miter saw station. 

I've had the current setup in my shop for just at five years, when I got the jointer, and the configuration change has been on my mind ever since.  I've just recently realized that I almost *never* rip anything wide enough that I need the space to the left of the TS top.

Having said all of that, can any of y'all suggest any reason I should *not* butt the jointer against the TS?

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

I don't see a problem with your suggestion, other than if you rip a long piece of wood, it will be a long walk around the jointer to get it from the back of the saw.  I set my TS up on a base to raise it above the jointer fence, and have the jointer up against the back of the TS.  When I am jointing a number of pieces, I just stack them on the TS , which works well to keep things organized.  You will probably be able to do the same with the jointer on the side of th TS.
Brad, like Barry said, you would have a long walk...

IMHO, you need two things: tool storage and shorts storage.  My shop is a little smaller, so I had to have tool storage "from the get-go".  Like you, I had shorts and materials on every surface.  Building a materials storage cart freed up my shop and made me more productive.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
No offense, but how do get anything done in that mess?  That's an accident waiting to happen.  First thing you need to do is a major cleanout and cleanup.  

Your idea of putting the jointer next to the TS is a good one; lots of people do it that way for the space saving reason you cited.  Once you get things cleaned and organized other good ideas likely will occur to you.  Good luck.  

John
No offense taken, John!  You're right, it needs to be cleaned; that's why I'm cleaning it now.  How do I get anything done?  Not easily.  It's become a really big problem that I need to address. 

Yesterday I cleaned up one side and built a wall rack for my clamps.  That did a lot to make it better.  Today I'll attack another quarter and move some cabinets around. 

I hadn't thought of the walk around the jointer on long cuts.  Jointer against the back of the TS?  I'll have to look at that and see.

As my shop goals evolve, my storage needs are changing, too.  I'm moving away from randomly building things and am concentrating on two things:  cutting/charcuterie boards and tables because that's what I'm building and selling.  They're complimentary when it comes to scrap management:  long cutoffs from table stock becomes cutting boards, and anything too small for cutting boards gets tossed.  I've been ripping down my shorts that have been sitting for years to get them used and out of the shop. 

Thanks, gents!
Semper fi,
Brad

I've rearranged my shop 3 or 4 times over the years to suite my changing list of machines and needs.  One thing that I committed to early on, and have made few changes to, however, was my DC piping layout.  I saw that dust hose you have running across the floor in your first photo and that jogged my memory about my DC piping.  Number one was to have no hose running across the floor where I would walk.  In order to make that happen I have clustered machines wherever possible, with the hose running vertically between or behind them, or I located machines against the walls.  Some machines like my J/P and drum sander are on mobile bases so I can move them out of the way when not needed or the space is needed for some temporary reason.  

Might be time to take a deep dive on how best to layout your shop to optimize DC and workflow.  

John
Yeah, I actually have my layout based on DC.  I have one run coming through the wall from my collector.  Where it ends, the hose hangs down.  From that point, it can curl up in the corner and reach all that that need it.

I need to add a wye so I can run a pipe to the center of the shop so that my hanging hose is shorter.
Semper fi,
Brad

I've had my jointer to the left of my TS for so long now I can't imagine it being anywhere else at this point. It is occasionally inconvenient, but it's worth it for the space saving (and dust collection). So, I think you're correct in your thinking to move your jointer.

Since you're talking about cleaning/ organizing- here are two storage items that I've found worked really well in my shop

Lumber storage cart

Wire shelving with casters (I don't have this one, I got mine from Lowes but same idea)

I have several sets of 12" and 18" deep stamped steel adjustable shelves on hand.  Something like 25 of them.  They're 48" wide and 84" tall.  

Once I have things rearranged, I might put one or two of them up, though I'm concerned that they'll collect a lot of dust since they aren't screen shelves.  We'll see. 

Thanks for the experience on your jointer location.  I think I'll end up moving it there later this year.
Semper fi,
Brad

i think your jointer move sounds like a good one.

with my setup, i rarely cut anything extending past the left of my saw  --  my bandsaw would be in the way anyway.  
Laugh