Jointer/Table Saw layout question
Since the last post I've been mulling the arrangement, building stuff, and cleaning as I go.  I still have a lot more to do, but it's getting better. 

Yesterday I manhandled it 180* and nudged it against my table saw.  I think it was the right thing to do.  It turned two narrow spaces, one useless, one awkward, into one wide-ish space that will now seat tools that were in awkward places before. 

The fence on the jointer, though heavy, is easy enough to remove if I need to rip wide pieces to the left of the blade.  I didn't realize until it was done that the wheel is about half an inch above the table saw top. I never change the depth of cut so I can just remove it if needed. 

Progress is being made.  Thanks, gents!

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Definitely looking better than before.
(09-05-2022, 09:18 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Since the last post I've been mulling the arrangement, building stuff, and cleaning as I go.  I still have a lot more to do, but it's getting better. 

I actually use the left wing of my TS quite a bit but I'm setting up shop again in a new space so I need to see if I can get used to working with the jointer to my left, too.

Something I noticed in your latest picture...your back is to the overhead doors.  My old shop (2 car garage, all mine) and my current one (2 car garage, half mine) were going to be setup similarly with me facing the overhead doors while standing in front of the TS.  The more I thought about my old shop, though, I remembered how that setup was kind of a pain and I didn't want to repeat it.  To break down boards, I'd have to carry them in past the TS and go to the back of the shop where I setup my mitersaw bench.  Then bring it to the middle where my jointer/planer/TS were, and back to the front where my assembly table was.  I did that to make it easier to carry out larger pieces and to keep an eye on the regular door which was next to the overheads.  I didn't want any surprises.

I'm thinking about flipping it around by having my back to the overhead. How did that arrangement come about for you?
My outfeed table is also my assembly bench.  My hand tool cabinet hangs behind it so having the TS set up that way is just convenient.  It's also more convenient to move from the planer to the table saw that way.
Semper fi,
Brad

Still have some cleaning to go, but it's looking much better and is actually usable now!  Good thing, too.  I'm starting two console tables and a ten foot dining table soon!

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad