Track saw owners still like wide table on TS?
I've got a Grizzly 1023 SLX with the wide table kit.  In the time I've owned it, I probably moved the fence to the far right fewer than 5 times.  Now that I've got a track saw, the fence doesn't move very far at all.  I'm also not the most fastidious person so all the extra space just collected stuff.  I did build a router table into the far end to justify the wide table, but it's time to redo that table.

I'm thinking of doing something drastic like cutting down my rails and tubes to save space.  The alternative is to buy shorter rails and tubes from Grizzly for ~$300, or come up with some other creative use for that space.

What say you?
I think you're on the right track. I have a 36" fence and rarely use all the capacity, if ever. I get sheet goods cut to rough dimensions at HD on their panel saw. Long crosscuts on a SCMS and soon to be on a Dewalt GA. Everything's on casters which helps.

Doug
SS PCS pilot
I would do it. I've said many times the wide table has limited use in m shop. My first saw has a 36" capacity, and in the 10 years or so that I had it I needed more capacity maybe 5-6 times. Since then I've always had the 50" (+/-) capacity, and in 20+ years I've used that maybe 5-6 times. So in my case it's not related to the tracksaw, but they do add to the reasons not to have the wide rails/fence. I've left mine in place since I've not crowded, but if I was buying my saw again, it would be with the shorter table.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
You know you want to do it. 

Just do it. 

You're going to like the space more than the unneeded tool part.
(08-20-2022, 09:35 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: I've got a Grizzly 1023 SLX with the wide table kit.  In the time I've owned it, I probably moved the fence to the far right fewer than 5 times.  Now that I've got a track saw, the fence doesn't move very far at all.  I'm also not the most fastidious person so all the extra space just collected stuff.  I did build a router table into the far end to justify the wide table, but it's time to redo that table.

I'm thinking of doing something drastic like cutting down my rails and tubes to save space.  The alternative is to buy shorter rails and tubes from Grizzly for ~$300, or come up with some other creative use for that space.

What say you?

This idea, is probably why so many people put a router table out there in that mostly ‘unused space’ at the right end of a table saw. 

Unfortunately for most small shops, that probably ends up wasting more space than it saves since a router table on the right end needs room to move around it. 

If you want to see how it works, and still have a way back, the rails aren’t difficult to make. 
Before I built my shop, I was working in an overcrowded garage.  I built a set of 30” rails so that my saw was at least usable.

All it takes is an L shaped piece of angle iron, a rectangular tube of the proper dimensions drill press although a hand drill could work. 

When your drilling just clamp a piece of 3/4 stock between the L and rectangle as a spacer. 
Drill the holes for tapping at your chosen size 5/16 works pretty well.  Then drill the holes in the L oversized a little. 
You will need to drill and counter sink some holes for mount to your saw, and you will also need to cut down the angle for miter gauge clearance. 

Then it’s easy enough to go back if you want, and if you get tired of tripping over the long rails that aren’t being used, you can sell them.
My table saw is on wheels and fits in a particular space. I found that a 27" fence fit that space well and given that I don't recall ever working a panel wider than24", 27" is wide enough. I do use a saw guide to break down sheet goods, I see absolutely no reason to try to maneuver 4 X 8 sheet goods into the basement and onto a table saw. If I were in a commercial space I'd probably feel differently (I'd probably have a slider
Winkgrin)
if I didn't have the extra wide table, where would I put all the stuff that's on it?

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Always broke sheet goods down with a circ saw & straight edge before l bought a tracksaw. When the unisaw came to the shop, never thought about a wide fence, just ordered a 30" unifence.

Ed
I had a 52" fence for years and never really used it once I got a track saw.  My fence now sits at 36' and I like the extra shop space it affords.
A few years ago, I got a good deal on a used really wide Jet table saw. I stuffed into a very small shop with plans for a larger shop. Now I have the large shop and the track saw. I barely use the wide capacity. If/when we move, I plan to sell this table saw and buy a "normal" size one where I end up.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.