electrical question - 200amp subpanel from 200amp main?
Thanks all.  Yes, analysis paralysis! Saving money isn't where my head is at, more so not pushing myself into a corner.

I ended up buying a 200amp rated panel, and swapped out my old 100amp sub-panel with this one (though it remains a "100amp subpanel" with the existing feeder and breaker from the main).

More spaces, good to go for now. IF (big IF) I ever need to upgrade to 400amp service, I suppose that would end up being a new meter base with (2) 200amp breakers, and then this sub-panel I just put in place would instantly be capable of 200 amps.

I am getting this inspected once the kitchen is wired and was able to ask the inspector if he thought this was a good plan and he agreed!

(I've learned recently it's easier to just ask the town/AHJ rather than trying to get conversations going on the internet.. dunno what I was afraid of!)
Quote:More spaces, good to go for now. IF (big IF) I ever need to upgrade to 400amp service, I suppose that would end up being a new meter base with (2) 200amp breakers, and then this sub-panel I just put in place would instantly be capable of 200 amps. 

Yes, this is the way forward. 

And solved your immediate issue of too few spaces in the old panel.
(09-01-2022, 10:22 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Yes, this is the way forward. 

And solved your immediate issue of too few spaces in the old panel.

thanks!