What's your jointer depth of cut?
I have on old solid Delta 6" jointer that is set at 1/16 depth of cut. Requires a lot of passes for some boards. I don't ever change the depth cause.. I just don't. What are you guys doing? Do you change or leave as is and what is your normal depth of cut? Seems by having such a shallow cut it just leaves me more opportunity to mess things up somehow.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
I do pretty much the same as you, 1/16th inch and i seldom change that setting. If I do have a board that's badly crooked I'll straighten the edge with a tracksaw.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I'm the same way.  I run shallow passes to clean the rough edge.  When it's nearly there, I scribble pencil on the edge or face and take just enough to make the pencil marks disappear.
I am like am you never change the depth of cut but have it set at .050". It does require a lot of passes on some boards, but they are flat with a square edge. I always mark the flat and square edge with a chalk " X".
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(08-25-2022, 01:44 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: I am like am you never change the depth of cut but have it set at .050". It does require a lot of passes on some boards, but they are flat with a square edge. I always mark the flat and square edge with a chalk " X".

I think mine is set at about 1/16".  1885-ish Frank H. Clement 12". I don't mind taking many passes for a clean cut.  When I eventually move over to a carbide head, then I'll consider deeper cuts.
Semper fi,
Brad

1/32" is normal for me. I rarely have to joint very long boards, but when I do (and there is significant warp) I will bump it up to 1/8".

I just find that it's a lot easier to control with shallow cuts, less chatter, cleaner edge, all of that. Unlikely to have the board caught and thrown.
Agree
I also have mine set up for 1/16th of an inch.
Grizzly 6” jointer.
Rather make more passes than hog off to much at once.
1/16 of an inch for me as well.
Without looking, I would guess 1/32". I will adjust if necessary. Usually a light cut.
I've never actually measured the depth of cut; it's probably something like 1/32".  I am more focused on a consistent cut, minimizing tearout as much as possible.  Once set, I never move it unless something like a blade change forces me to move it.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")