Router in table saw wing?
I am thinking of adding a router in a wing on my vintage Unisaw. The rails extend about 9 inches past the table and due to lack of space in my shop I would like to stay within that foot print

I am looking at the JessEm II lift. It is just over 9 inches wide- so the spindle would be les than 5 inches from the edge of the wing I would add.

Will this even work? It seems to me I need more space from the edge of the table to the spindle. What would you say is the minimum?
I currently have a very basic Porter Cable table that has about 11 inches of table in front of the spindle that seems to work ok

I can expand the footprint, but smaller is better in this case

Thanks!

Never had a router setup in my tablesaw wing, nor have I considered it, so I'm probably not a good one to give advice on this one. My shop is basically 24'x30', the daylight basement of our home. I have two router tables, one with an Incra setup and the other more basic for routine router projects. Both are on wheels, as are all the other stationary tools in my shop - gives me quite a bit of flexibility.

I've grown comfortable with this setup and especially like both the fences on these tables. Do you plan on using your tablesaw fence for routing? Somehow that doesn't seem to be a very comfortable situation, but like I said I've never considered it. I suppose it depends on what you're used to.

Doug
Yes, I will use the tablesaw fence. Given the limited space in my shop I want to consolidate things as much as I can

If you ever watched some of the David Marks shows when they were on, you know he had his router in a saw table of his fairly spacious shop (I read somewhere it was 1600 sq. ft.) Anyway, what struck me as unusual was the few times I saw him use the RT, he worked on the left side of the fence. This looked a little awkward to me, but he seemed quite comfortable doing it. My point is that if the 9" becomes tight, use the other side if at all possible.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-28-2022, 10:36 AM)goaliedad Wrote: I am thinking of adding a router in a wing on my vintage Unisaw. The rails extend about 9 inches past the table and due to lack of space in my shop I would like to stay within that foot print

I am looking at the JessEm II lift. It is just over 9 inches wide- so the spindle would be les than 5 inches from the edge of the wing I would add.

Will this even work? It seems to me I need more space from the edge of the table to the spindle. What would you say is the minimum? 
I currently have a very basic Porter  Cable table that has about 11 inches of table in front of the spindle that seems to work ok

I can expand the footprint, but smaller is better in this case

Thanks!

I have my router in a cast iron extension wing on the end of my twin TS setup.  I use the TS fence and add an auxiliary fence to it for dust collection and buried bit cuts.  It's a great setup for me.  No lift, just a Bosch EVS 1617 in a base.  

[Image: AL9nZEVJIBC7DCe2KoGId3bvzVmeHV69UbgJJGDZ...authuser=1]

5" from the back of the router to the wing would be fine IMO.  

John
Thanks John. I ordered the lift today. I will start out with a larger wing- and decide if I want to trim it back once I start using it

Wood magazine had a slip on or slip over RT fence plan that fit over my Biesmeyer nicely. I actually liked that fence better than the one I’m currently using. Easy 1/2 day project made from plywood.

Would happen to have the plans or a link? Sounds interesting. Thanks

i've got a rockler lift in my wing, and it's great.  also, i didn't have the lift before, and it's SO much nicer having it now.  i also have an auxiliary fence that mounts to the tablesaw fence that works great.

Attached Files Image(s)

(08-28-2022, 12:09 PM)fredhargis Wrote: If you ever watched some of the David Marks shows when they were on, you know he had his router in a saw table of his fairly spacious shop (I read somewhere it was 1600 sq. ft.) Anyway, what struck me as unusual was the few times I saw him use the RT, he worked on the left side of the fence. This looked a little awkward to me, but he seemed quite comfortable doing it. My point is that if the 9" becomes tight, use the other side if at all possible.

I think I am doing what you are describing.
My router table wing on the tablesaw is to the right of the blade, not the left.
Therefore, when I rout, the board is on the left of the router fence.
I did this because I had a sliding table on the left side of the saw.
But a great benefit of doing it this way is that there's lots of support to the left of the router fence.