1/2" sanding belts
I'm looking for some 1/2x18 sanding belts. various grits.
The ones I find locally, at HF take longer to put on the machine then they last, before the seam lets go-sometimes before they even touch the work.
Any body got any suggestions?
Thanks
Industrial Abrasives may be able to help you out, https://www.industrialabrasives.com/indu...8nm1eo9pp1
I have found that after a while setting on the shelf, my sanding belts tend to do the same; no mater what the brand is. Usually, the piece of tape that reinforces the joint comes loose from one or both sides. I have had some success in regluing using E6000 glue. Clean any old glue off with lacquer thinner before applying the E6000 and clamp the joint between small wood blocks. Firm clamping will ensure a smooth joint.

Follow-up:
I had a recent project that involved lots of belt sanding. I had some new belts on the shelf that I purchased years ago. They all failed quickly and my repairs using E6000 didn't hold up very long. I finally had success by removing the plastic reinforcing joint tape (a heat gun works for this), thoroughly cleaning the ends of the belts, and used a thin durable cloth (polyester I think) glued on with super glue. Use a liberal amount of glue and after laying the cloth onto the glue lay on some wax paper and then clamp a smooth block to it for a while. This will provide a smooth surface that will run smoothly on the sander. A double layer of cloth and glue will make it even stronger. I've used my first belt repair for quite a while with no signs of failure yet.
Follow-up:
I had a recent project that involved lots of belt sanding. I had some new belts on the shelf that I purchased years ago. They all failed quickly and my repairs using E6000 didn't hold up very long. I finally had success by removing the plastic reinforcing joint tape (a heat gun works for this), thoroughly cleaning the ends of the belts, and used a thin durable cloth (polyester I think) glued on with super glue. Use a liberal amount of glue and after laying the cloth onto the glue lay on some wax paper and then clamp a smooth block to it for a while. This will provide a smooth surface that will run smoothly on the sander. A double layer of cloth and glue will make it even stronger. I've used my first belt repair for quite a while with no signs of failure yet.
In High school we made belts for the edge sander from big, and I mean really big, rolls of 6" wide sandpaper. We cut the pieces at an angle to required length plus 1/2". Then we marked the 1/2", and scraped off the abrasive with a chisel borrowed from one of the Freshmen or Sophomores. We just used white glue and a big wooden handscrew to clamp overnight. Unlike the new sanding belts that have butted ends reinforced with fiber tape, these belts were the same as what I'd buy years ago; they were supposed to run in only one direction and had an arrow printed on the inside. I have "repaired" 4x24 belts using this technique and they still fit my sander.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"