How to secure picture-framed corners on a deck
Hi,

I'm helping my BIL re-surface his deck.  We decided to picture frame in the deck because the profile of the decking he bought has "waves" in it.  (See the photo where there are some scraps on the part we've completed so far.

The picture framed board is the one the black arrow is pointing to.  I know it is tough to make out, but see the red arrows??? That's the next section we're replacing.  It has "clipped" corners so we'll need to make 2 adjoining 22.5 degree cuts and then another set of 22.5 degree cuts to return it 90 degrees.

My question is this:  How can I secure the picture framed corners so they stay in the same plane?   Of course we'll screw down the boards, but I'm worried about the mitered corners pulling apart or lifting independently of each other.

I don't own a Domino so I can't use that technique.  (I assume you can buy the Domino biscuits made out of plastic for exterior use, right?).

I suppose we could simply drill corresponding holes and slip something in there that would keep to boards in the same plane....sorta like a biscuit.  I could also simply screw through the outside of one of the boards to catch the adjoining board, but is there a more elegant solution?

Thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

Dumber than I appear
I have mitered corners around the perimeter of my Ipe' deck.  I used biscuits I cut out of sheet PVC to keep them aligned, with no glue.  The boards are screwed to the joists.  Gotta be 6 or 7 years old now and the alignment is still good.  

Maybe there is a glue that works on that stuff.  If so, I'd use glue and biscuits.  You can even cut biscuit slots with a router bit if you don't own a biscuit cutter.  

John
one suggestion:
 go underneath and screw/nail, on the flat ,a 2 by whatever spans the joint between the joists at the spot the miters end up. thatll give you something to screw into.
a quick search found a pic of what im trying to describe.

Attached Files Image(s)

(08-31-2022, 03:56 PM)tomsteve Wrote: one suggestion:
 go underneath and screw/nail, on the flat ,a 2 by whatever spans the joint between the joists at the spot the miters end up. thatll give you something to screw into.
a quick search found a pic of what im trying to describe.

Agree, beef up the substructure with blocking and screw it down. Here is what Timbertech says:

LINK

My decking is PVC and was able to glue the miters with PVC solvent and 2P 10.
I think if I had to do it, I'd get out there with a doweling kit and drill some holes. Only I wouldn't use wooden dowels. I'd use steel dowel pins.

Hate miters on a deck. And it seems they are always in a noticeable place. Like at the top of the stairs or in an entryway.