Powermatic Model 60
Thoughts on this jointer? From my research, the power switch is less than desirable, but an easy upgrade. There is one here for what seems like a decent price. The person selling it said it's 120V 20A, seems surprising it's not 240V.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(09-01-2022, 12:53 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: Thoughts on this jointer? From my research, the power switch is less than desirable, but an easy upgrade. There is one here for what seems like a decent price. The person selling it said it's 120V 20A, seems surprising it's not 240V.

What previous owners did with the motor is anybody's guess.
Over the decades Powermatic made various changes to the model 60.  None were lemons but some had advantages over the others.  All were made with good USA cast iron.
Have you got a photo of the model 60 in question?
They're asking $1k.

Looking up the specs it came with a 1 hp 120v motor.     Roly
Seems to be in very good condition. Tables look clean in the picture.

Motor is probably 120V at 20A or 240V at 10A. Typical single phase motors can be swapped between 120V & 240V with just some rewiring in the junction box. 120V 30A circuits are uncommon, but available.

Price seems high, but maybe they're fishing. I'd definitely want to get on the low side of $750 for that. Would start feeling good around the $600 mark.

For $1k I expect an 8" or 10" jointer in equally good shape.
I have both available, so power isn't an issue for me. I'm surprised an 8" jointer would only have a 1hp motor.

"For $1k I expect an 8" or 10" jointer in equally good shape"

That is an 8" jointer, isn't it? The ad says it is. The ad also says it's a model 50, but the tag on another picture clearly says 60. Unfortunately, prices have been higher here. There's just not as many woodworkers here so the used market is thin. I've been holding off on upgrading from my 6" because of used (and new) prices being through the roof.

I also expect Powermatic to have higher prices than some of the others, but should it?
It is not the 50,  I had one of those years ago, bought it used and paid extra for the Powermatic name, in retrospect, not glad I did.  I dovetailed ways jointer is a pretty basic machine,  not much high tech in it.  Mine was the green version, and came with a 1/2 hp motor, IIRC.  If you find a similar machine with a decent motor at a lesser price, I would buy that .
Finding anything 8" without a premium is a challenge right now. But it's good to know the yellow is not worth extra money. I'm also not under pressure to buy. I have a 6" jointer, just looking to upgrade.

Someone else has a Grizzly 8" with a helical cutterhead for $1700 that is near new. If I needed one today, I'd consider it. I'll wait to see if it's still there in a week and possibly offer lower.
(09-02-2022, 05:15 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: Finding anything 8" without a premium is a challenge right now. But it's good to know the yellow is not worth extra money. I'm also not under pressure to buy. I have a 6" jointer, just looking to upgrade.

Someone else has a Grizzly 8" with a helical cutterhead for $1700 that is near new. If I needed one today, I'd consider it. I'll wait to see if it's still there in a week and possibly offer lower.

Yes, that's a model 60 for sure and it will have the safety cutterhead.  If the beds are 72" total, it will be a good one.  The only petty nit I have about it is that the 7K rpm head whines a bit.  Also, that 7L rpm head gives one very smooth cut, particularly in face jointing.    Another nit to pick is that cheap Furnas 12BA switch.  Those things don't last well with heavy use.  I replaced the switch that came on my new 60 with a low voltage control USA-made mag starter.  By "cheap" I mean that the Furnas 12BA switch generally sells for $70.00 or can be had for less on eBay.

A grand for a jointer like that is a very good deal.  The cast iron is ASTM class 34 or better from a Meehanite certified foundry in McMinnville, TN, not Asian peanut butter iron usually found on cheap import woodworking machines.  Even Grizzly touts some of their best metal working machines as having iron from a Meehanite foundry.  Its the good stuff.

I've tried carbide knives in my 60 and found them lacking.  They cut like dull knives even though they were new.  It took considerably more pressure to feed.  I put good Amana HSS knives back in and have been happy ever since. I once tried Global knives and like all cheap imports, I got what I paid for.  I got 200 linear feet of cut done and the knives were shot.  Out of the jointer they came and right into the trash can they went.

Knowing what I know now about those jointers, if I were looking for another 8" jointer and saw that ad, I buy it in a heartbeat.

PS. the guard is a dead giveaway on the model.  That is clearly a model 60 guard that would never fit on a 50 (6").
PPS.  The first two digits of the serial number is the year it was made.
(09-02-2022, 05:15 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: Finding anything 8" without a premium is a challenge right now. But it's good to know the yellow is not worth extra money. I'm also not under pressure to buy. I have a 6" jointer, just looking to upgrade.

I don't think I'd wait very long on that jointer.

Used market is inflated right now, and I don't think it will return to pre-pandemic pricing soon, if ever.

If you need an 8" jointer, and that one works as advertised, the extra $ cost will soon be forgotten.  New PM 8" jointers go for well over $3K (but that's with helical head).
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")