1964 Delta 8in jointer
I am the proud new owner of a beautiful 37-315 jointer. I've been looking for an 8 or 10in jointer for a while now and they don't come up often around me. I snatched this one up the second I saw it. Not only is it a hell of a jointer, the cast iron pot-belly base really got me. It kind of matches my band saw from 25 years earlier. The machine came in fantastic condition with zero rust and the paint on the base looks brand new. All I've really had to do is take off the tables and clean up and oil all the machined and moving parts. The knives are sharp but have some nicks. I'll be getting a helical cutter for it ASAP. The one kicker is that it has a 3 phase motor. I'm currently debating whether to get a single phase or pay to have a new receptacle installed in my rented shop. 

How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
Wow!! Tables look new! Awesome score! Congrats!!

Gary
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(09-02-2022, 05:52 AM)shoottmx Wrote: Wow!! Tables look new! Awesome score! Congrats!!

Gary

The tables are in great shape. Not even any surface rust. But that didn't stop me from getting carried away. I wanted to get it nice and slippy so I started with 220grit dry and ended on 3000 grit wet. I just need to figure out the best cleaner to get the stubborn drip stains off the sides. At some point, someone got carried away with spreading oil or something to protect the surface and it dripped down the sides. Any suggestions on a serious cleaner that won't damage the paint at all?

I love the look of those pot belly Delta jointers!

Do you currently have 3 phase wired into your rented shop? If it were me, I'd probably swap to a single phase motor. It shouldn't be too hard to find a roughly period correct motor (bearings will likely need replacing, but that's not hard), and likely way cheaper than having a three phase outlet added. Plus, when/if you move to another shop space, you don't have to figure out 3 phase outlets again.

Tyler
If you have an "extra" 220 receptacle, you can get a VFD that will just plug into your 220 receptacle and then you could plug the jointer into the VFD. That's what I did and it works quite well. Congrats on the find!!
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
I believe I have the same jointer. I've never taken the tables off (in 20 years), how do you remove them? My depth adjustment has a lot of play in it, I suspect I will find the reason if I take the infeed table off.

Thanks
(09-02-2022, 09:19 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I believe I have the same jointer.  I've never taken the tables off (in 20 years), how do you remove them?  My depth adjustment has a lot of play in it, I suspect I will find the reason if I take the infeed table off.

Thanks

One possibility is that the setscrew on the sleeve came loose and the sleeve is moving back and forth.

Both setscrews can be seen since the jointer is upside down.

Closeup of set screw

loosening the sleeve and sliding it up into view

tightening down the sleeve.
Those are some very detailed pic Bob, Thanks for the contribution.

getting the tables off isn't too tricky. You have to crank the table up as far as it will go until the screw come out of the collar, that Bob so clearly showed. You need to loosen the 4 set screw on the back of the machine that holds in the jib, then the tables slide right off the top. The cause of your slop could be the collar and set screw shown in the previous post or one of the two collars on the screw itself could have come loose. I was looking for information on the tool over at OWWM.org and on one guy's machine, the collar on the screw had worn a substantial recess into the cast iron bracket as well as wearing halfway through the collar. Depending on the level of use and amount of maintenance the machine saw over the years, things can wear. My machine, however, shows no signs of wear!

Thanks for the info, I totally forgot about my question until today.  This sounds like a winter activity in my basement shop.  I need to enjoy the rest of the summer and fall first.
(09-07-2022, 08:07 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Thanks for the info, I totally forgot about my question until today.  This sounds like a winter activity in my basement shop.  I need to enjoy the rest of the summer and fall first.

Maybe save the cleanup and painting until a warm fall day.  Do the final assembly and tuneup on a cold winter day.