Out on a Rust Hunt, Labor Day Weekend
Due to all the rain showers....was a bit limited...
Friday:   West Liberty, OH. Lion's Park.    Got there a bit too early....heat being an issue with me.   By 2pm, had had enough....camera was getting a bit "full".  Seems about half of the Vendors were still closed up, unloading. hadn't arrived..yet....Still found quite a few selling old tools...There IS a SawMill on site, but was down for maintenance...

Saturday:  garage / yard sales....as there looked like a thunderstorm down at West Liberty area....So spent the rest of my Tool Allowance around town...

Since everyone seems to like photos ( or it didn't happen?)  That is what this little story will be about...Total for the 2 days?   $9.50,  plus the cost of a Newspaper.

First items seen..

Well, it was a Tractor Fest, after all...

Not off to a good start....

Hmmmm...

Can't see carrying one of these around all day, either (car was almost a 1/2 mile away) Turned the corner onto the southern edge of the Vendors' Rows..

Meh...keep going, got about a mile to walk along...

Hmmm, might be a keeper?   There was also a Gent's saw further down, under all that mess...$2 for each. 

This first tool vendor had a long row of tables...filled with boxes...

Some good...

Found a $0.50 push drill in there...didn't need that spiral screwdriver, though..(sometimes, one has to dig a little deeper to find the "Good Stuff")
And, not just ON the tables..

careful where you step...

Stay tuned...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Part 2, still at the first vendor..

Must resist, must resist.....There was also a Jack plane in this box....the kind with the stamped steel frog...pass.

Not much here...
Hmmm...So, what did I buy, so far?

Rest of the day was spent walking and looking....not much else...a few bottles of water, maybe...Sunny, HUMID 82 degrees, not enough shade..

Ok, passed a few vendors ( No tools) until...

This tent....3 rows deep in nothing but tools..

and..

and...

and, on the way out...

Didn't need these, nor the molders beside them ( wrong irons, missing bits...)

Stay tuned, still trying to exit this second vendor...

Attached Files Image(s)

Just trying to leave that tent...

Finally..

and..

That sign on the tool chest?

Spent the rest of the day, just walking...there was a few tools, just way out of my pay scale...oh, yeah..saw mill..

Nice shady building, nice supply of logs, cut-off saw, even some rough sawn lumber...

Driven by a wide belt, from the Farmall's PTO drum...

Front carriage, connected to the back carriage via a large pipe...

All the saw dust is pulled away, and up this chute...then into a cyclone sitting on a dumpster.  That saw blade is the Small Blade....there IS another, almost 6' in diameter, in case they get the Big Timber...it is leaning up against the "Log Wagon"..

having issues with the heat...did feel like waiting another 2 hours before things really "opened up"   hopefully, better results Saturday,  

Would this be a "File Cabinet"?

Stay tuned..
Saturday:  Boss wanted to go look at some Yard Sales ( she looks, but never gets out of the car?)  Big storm down to the south, anyway....didn't feel like walking around in the rain.  

Most of the "Sales"....usual clothes, knick-knacks.   But, I could smell the rust from 2 locations....one sale in DeGraff, OH....spent a dollar bill..

As this was the best looking of the 3 file guides....then a drive back towards home...noticed a sign...follow thy nose..

A lot of tables...one had quite a few tools on it....picked these two...Dollar each....then..

And old rip saw for $2? 
26" Skew back...5 ppi?   Warranted Superior eagle.   Fancy handle, for a rip saw?

Total spent for tools in the 2 days?   $9.50.....Not too bad...
Did you bring home a pretty green tractor too?  

That's quite a show there.  I've never been to anything so well stocked with old tools before.
It is an annual Labor Day Weekend Fest.....this year, they even added a Country Music Concert.  

been trying to go each year...last year, a knee injury kept me away.....some years, there are over a 100 tractors....one year...I went 2 days out of the 4...walked over 2 miles...spent quite a bit.....son and grandson went along on one of the days.
(09-07-2022, 12:24 PM)bandit571 Wrote: It is an annual Labor Day Weekend Fest.....this year, they even added a Country Music Concert.  

been trying to go each year...last year, a knee injury kept me away.....some years, there are over a 100 tractors....one year...I went 2 days out of the 4...walked over 2 miles...spent quite a bit.....son and grandson went along on one of the days.
This one is big...over 200 acres IIRC..About 75 miles from me....no way I can walk it so I have to reserve a golf cart at about 100 bucks/day...but I have snagged lots of great tools there...

https://floridaflywheelers.org/
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Near State College, PA, starting tomorrow, is the Nittany Tractor Show and flea market (excellent flea market!). I go every year, but this year, a bad knee will keep me home.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
The backsaw has been cleaned up, and sharpened up a bit..

Name on the spine of this $2 saw?    Jackson.   Has just an Eagle on the medallion..
Was also put to work...has to earn it's keep..

As for the other 2 saw?   Both have been cleaned up and sharpened.   Rip saw's set has been reduced.   Both are awaiting their turns.   The 8" draw knife is stamped FULTON, has been cleaned up and sharpened.    Stearns saw file guide has been cleaned up and sold..