SawStop: Eating Crow
(09-23-2022, 03:49 PM)meackerman Wrote: a lot/most of us don't know when our time is up.  one day it just is.

could happen at any time in someone's life.
Exactly why a plan is worth it. The plan may not be fool proof (and can also changed), but if one is in place and executed IN TIME, smiles for everyone.

Actually same for retirement. I know a few who have had no plans to retire -- not for financial reasons. We all  will die but some (esp those with a retirement plan) will get to do some of the things at their time of choosing instead of leaving them to one day, which may or may not come.

Simon
(09-23-2022, 04:01 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Actually same for retirement. I know a few who have had no plans to retire -- not for financial reasons. We all  will die but some (esp those with a retirement plan) will get to do some of the things at their time of choosing instead of leaving them to one day, which may or may not come.
this is what my wife and I are trying to figure out now.  We both want to retire, we're young enough to be able to enjoy retirement, but the question is exactly when should we?

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(09-23-2022, 05:01 PM)meackerman Wrote: this is what my wife and I are trying to figure out now.  We both want to retire, we're young enough to be able to enjoy retirement, but the question is exactly when should we?

That's a million dollar question!

My wife finally retired, and so did one of her colleagues with almost the same number of years with the company. More than two years past, my wife still wonders why she doesn't seem to have the kind of free time that she thought she would have after retiring. Her former colleague, on the other hand, is mulling going back as a part timer (even though without the usual benefits) because she finds retirement life boring!!!

Simon
(09-23-2022, 02:15 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Some will remain defiant, most? I don't think so. The Bosch Reaxx received favorable responses...until the ss inventor won his case.

Money is a big reason why many are hesitant in getting a ss. We can expect the ss clones to be price competitive once the patents are gone.

Simon

You are certainly welcome to your opinion as to whether those like the ones who have expressed their disdain for Sawstop and its inventor on these pages in the past will remain defiant or not. The OP obviously had a change of heart, to his credit IMO. It's the first post I've seen here expressing views similar to his.

As to the cost, quick research says to the contrary. You're correct IF shopping for a cabinet saw is out of your budget range. However, if you're shopping for a cabinet saw, SS PCS is actually priced a little below the Unisaw.

3 HP Unisaw

3 HP Sawstop PCS

Doug
You have conveniently omitted to include other 3hp cabinet saws such as Grizzly and other imported models for comparison.

Also, I was saying that people who object to acquiring a saw with the finger saving tech. because of their views on the ss inventor might change their minds when legal ss clone saws become available.

Simon
(09-24-2022, 04:24 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: You have conveniently omitted to include other 3hp cabinet saws such as Grizzly and other imported models for comparison.

Also, I was saying that people who object to acquiring a saw with the finger saving tech. because of their views on the ss inventor might change their minds when legal ss clone saws become available.

Simon

As a long-time user of a two Grizzly cabinet saws, and the Xacta saw in my own shop for 20 years, I'll flat out say there IS NO comparison to the SawStop, other than they're all tablesaws.  Every single thing on the SS is better than the ones mentioned, and I'm comparing the 1-3/4hp SS to the 3HP Jet and both a 3 and 5HP Grizzly.
(09-24-2022, 05:14 PM)KC Wrote: As a long-time user of a two Grizzly cabinet saws, and the Xacta saw in my own shop for 20 years, I'll flat out say there IS NO comparison to the SawStop, other than they're all tablesaws.  Every single thing on the SS is better than the ones mentioned, and I'm comparing the 1-3/4hp SS to the 3HP Jet and both a 3 and 5HP Grizzly.
This is what I wrote: Money is a big reason why many are hesitant in getting a ss.

The fact that the ss is far superior than its peers in many aspects doesn't mean money is not a reason why many aren't getting a ss, does it?

Simon
(09-24-2022, 04:24 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: You have conveniently omitted to include other 3hp cabinet saws such as Grizzly and other imported models for comparison.

Simon

I didn't "conveniently" do anything. I was comparing "apples to apples." If you want to compare apples to oranges, you win every time - I'll give you that one. 

Doug
It may be apples to oranges to you, but to many others who have a budget in mind, they don't necessarily look at it that way.

Simon
Have it your way. If I knew what I know now about Sawstop technology and was in the market for a cabinet model tablesaw, one I planned to keep for a while and maybe forever, and wasn't in a financial position to buy a Sawstop PCS and pay cash, I'd get a loan to buy one. That's how much I believe in the technology and its prevention of a catastrophic injury - YMMV.

Doug