Final details for builtin cabinet
Hi, Trying to finish up what I'm calling a liquor cabinet, 52" tall, 40"W and 15" deep. Its going on the floor in a space that builder intended for a tube TV.
It has a face frame, 2 glass shelves and glass on the bottom to protect bottom shelf and act as door stop (inset doors).

Wanted to ask about the glass shelf supports, the glass shop did not have any suggestions. I assume the typical ones shown below are fine?
I plan on using 3/8" tempered glass, 36" long with 2 shelf supports at each end. I could have a 3rd support on the back. There is no center fixed stile between the doors.

Also, since this may have significant overall weight I assume the base support should extend very close to the edges, especially on the sides where the vertical case sides attach to the base (to avoid too much bending stress on bottom shelf).

Just want to be sure I'm not doing anything unusual since the glass is pricey, in fact if brick and mortar prices are much more than online I may just go with plywood shelves. This is part of a mantle that already has lots of bookshelves so I wanted to do something different. 

Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

Those will work, but for glass I prefer the ones coated with a rubber tip. Like these.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I was thinking about that because I know tempered glass does not like point loads. Thanks.

I saw a documentary on tempered glass and they would make a large fist sized teardrop shaped piece and a guy would beat on it with sledge and it would not break. Then he tapped it on the thin tail end and it shattered.
(09-09-2022, 05:01 PM)alexh1 Wrote: I was thinking about that because I know tempered glass does not like point loads. Thanks.

I saw a documentary on tempered glass and they would make a large fist sized teardrop shaped piece and a guy would beat on it with sledge and it would not break. Then he tapped it on the thin tail end and it shattered.

Also, tempered glass will not withstand a relatively light tap on the edge with any metal. Just saying!
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Those are called either a Prince Rupert's or Rupert's drop, can't remember for sure. Tempering glass puts the surfaces in compression. When you release that stress by initiating even a tiny crack through that compression layer the whole thing shatters, dramatically.

John