LN No 85 for $300. Good deal?
It's cheaper than ebay and I don't see that they are made anymore. Am I wrong? Trying to decide if I need it
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Tis’ a cabinet scraper and one of my least used tools. Is it do you need it, or do you want it? I do far better with a card scraper.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(09-10-2022, 07:01 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Tis’ a cabinet scraper and one of my least used tools.  Is it do you need it, or do you want it?  I do far better with a card scraper.

I hate when logic enters the discussion. I got it...I figured worst case scenario I can sell it on the bay.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
(09-10-2022, 07:16 PM)Scott W Wrote: I hate when logic enters the discussion. I got it...I figured worst case scenario I can sell it on the bay.

Was this one bronze or iron?  Would that have any effect on value?
(09-13-2022, 10:26 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: Was this one bronze or iron?  Would that have any effect on value?

I believe they were all bronze (mine is) and I don't recall seeing an iron #85, except a Stanley original.
www.metaltech-pm.com
(09-13-2022, 01:46 PM)Tony Z Wrote: I believe they were all bronze (mine is) and I don't recall seeing an iron #85, except a Stanley original.

my LN is iron
(09-13-2022, 01:46 PM)Tony Z Wrote: I believe they were all bronze (mine is) and I don't recall seeing an iron #85, except a Stanley original.

You may be thinking of the smaller No. 212, which had a bronze body.  The No. 85's all had cast iron bodies.  The No. 212 is still in production.

Lee Valley sells a scraping plane similar to the LN 85 for only $209. I think the LV version is more versatile, because you can purchase a thin blade that can be bowed using a thumbscrew similar to the way you'd use a hand held cabinet scraper, or you can purchase a thick blade (toothed or straight).
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(09-14-2022, 06:31 AM)AHill Wrote: You may be thinking of the smaller No. 212, which had a bronze body.  The No. 85's all had cast iron bodies.  The No. 212 is still in production.

Lee Valley sells a scraping plane similar to the LN 85 for only $209.  I think the LV version is more versatile, because you can purchase a thin blade that can be bowed using a thumbscrew similar to the way you'd use a hand held cabinet scraper, or you can purchase a thick blade (toothed or straight).

You're right Alan! I looked at mine and it is iron and that just shows how little I use it. I also have the little 212 scraper plane and I use it, not a whole bunch, but enough to not want to sell it.

One feature the 85 has that is nice, are the tilting handles.
www.metaltech-pm.com
(09-10-2022, 03:16 PM)Scott W Wrote: It's cheaper than ebay and I don't see that they are made anymore. Am I wrong? Trying to decide if I need it

I'd buy one for 300 bucks in a heartbeat and I already have one. Didn't one go for over 500 bucks a week or so ago?

The tool works well except it's a pain to clean out the shavings. I guess there are reasons why they stop making some tools.
Tox!