Lathe decisions
About 12 years ago I bought a Rikon mini lathe with the intent to turn bowls.  Then my Uncle unexpectedly passed away and I inherited his Delta 46-715 midi lathe (Reeves drive), chisels, duplicator, and several accessories.  Life happened, I used the Delta for a small project, then we moved away and everything went into storage for 5 years.  So now I'm setting up shop again and I have some decisions to make.

When I bought the Rikon, my plan was to use it for turning bowls.  I still want to turn bowls.  That Rikon has never been unpacked from that box.  When I inherited the Delta, I read some negative reviews about the Reeves drive but in my limited experience it was fine to use.

I don't have enough space to setup 2 lathes and I'd still need a stand for the Rikon.  The Delta came with one.  And, of course, I've received this lathe from family so I feel obligated to hold onto it.

So just sell the Rikon and move on with the Delta?

When I used the Delta, I kept the area fairly compact.  I'm actually thinking about moving it to a shed I'm building and if I want to turn, just run an extension cable out there.  It will have my lawn tractor and lumber in there, and I plan to make it 10x14.  Anyone work out of a smaller space like that?

Thanks,
Paul
i think i would just compare specs, and see which will be better for bowl turning for ya . . . first guess is the delta, but i'm not sure the model of the rikon you have.

i had a craftsman with a reeves drive, and it was fine  --  just a little on the noisy side.
Is the Rikon the older version with speeds changed by moving belts , or the newer model that featured a knob that did it electronically?

I think the capacity is the same on both models.  
A new in the box tool will command more than a used one no matter how little it was used.
(09-13-2022, 01:46 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Is the Rikon the older version with speeds changed by moving belts , or the newer model that featured a knob that did it electronically?

I think the capacity is the same on both models.  
A new in the box tool will command more than a used one no matter how little it was used.

The Rikon is the older version where you have to move belts.  The Reeves drive on the Delta is nice because you don't have to stop.  I also had the model # on the Delta wrong.  It's the 46-715 and has a 14" swing whereas the Rikon has a 12".

I don't think my Uncle had too many hours on this lathe so hopefully the pulleys hold out for me.  I see some people saying the pulley breaks and then they're SOL.  However, it just seems like the Delta is the more capable machine overall.

Thanks,
Paul
The delta is a no brainer then. Twice the capacity is always beTter unless you’re space challenged.  

Delta reeves pulleys are still available, and folks have made ones from grizzly and jet work. 

https://www.renovoparts.com/909945-motor...so-901736/

You could also replace the motor with a DC treadmill motor or a three phase with a VFD and have a more powerful and controllable setup if the reeves drive ever craps out on you.
i was wondering about that model number!  
Laugh

yeah, i would definitely say the delta too  --  sliding and rotating headstock will be real nice for bowl turning.  
Yes

only time i had an issue with the reeves drives on the craftsman was when i forgot to disengage the spindle lock.  
Crazy
(09-14-2022, 07:37 AM)arthropod98 Wrote: only time i had an issue with the reeves drives on the craftsman was when i forgot to disengage the spindle lock.  
Crazy

They do require some maintenance/inspecting and are rather susceptible to ruining belts and self destructing when the drive shaft and motor shaft are not parallel.
I have a similar experience. I had a Jet Mini and really only intended to use it to turn tool handles for restoring old tools. I turned a pen on it, then a bowl. I was hooked. But, a mini has two drawbacks for bowl turning: power and capacity. You are very limited by the capacity for bowls on a mini. Power is less of an issue, but for things with a large mass, you have to take very, very shallow cuts or increase speed. Increasing speed isn't always an option when roughing out something on a mini that's an unbalanced load. And I'd stall the lathe on more than one occasion trying to take too much in a cut. So, I upgraded to a Teknatool Nova with a 16" swing. I use my mini now for polishing stuff.

Even though it's a Reeves drive, I'd opt for the Delta. You can turn small stuff on a large lathe, but you can't turn large stuff on a small lathe.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
If the Rikon has a 12" swing, then it sounds like it is a Model 70-100: 12"x16" with a 3/4hp motor, non-reversing, 6 speeds (430 - 3900 rpm).

Current retail looks to be ~$500-$630.

Given the choice, I would be keeping the Delta like most everyone above.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(09-14-2022, 07:40 PM)iclark Wrote: If the Rikon has a 12" swing, then it sounds like it is a Model 70-100: 12"x16" with a 3/4hp motor, non-reversing, 6 speeds (430 - 3900 rpm).
Current retail looks to be ~$500-$630.
Given the choice, I would be keeping the Delta like most everyone above.

Depending on how old, it could be a 70-050 , or a 70-050vs.   They were both 12x16.

Rikon is a niice little lathe but I'd still keep the delta , unless I had no room for it and the rikon would fit in what I had.