DIY water softener resin bed service?
(09-18-2022, 07:32 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Take some pictures of you valve head, your tank and the associated plumbing behind the tank. If you intended to replace spent calcite yourself, put the tank in bypass. I can help you with that if I see some pictures. Putting it in bypass takes the pressure off the tank. Unscrew the plug at the top of the tank. This gets messy. Have a 5 gal bucket and rags ready.

Thanks for your help.  Here is the overall system and a closeup of one of the valve heada.  The heads are identical on the neutralizer and resin tanks.  I shined a light through the neutralizer tank and it's nearly 3/4 full so it seems I'm good there for a while as well as on the resin tank for MANY years based on everyone's feedback.

Ok, so you have the calcite tank (on the right) to treat the PH. The calcite is a mineral and some dissolves which hardens the water. That's probably why there's a softener down stream. That's a normal practice.

3/4, you're good to go. I would check the PH once in a while with a DIY kit. If the PH is off and you know it's 3/4 full, you might need to rebuild the valve head. It's not uncommon to rebuild valve heads periodically. I have to do it about every 3 years. That's a Clack valve head. Clack Parts

The tanks themselves are generic tanks.

My guess is there's 2 red valves behind the valve heads. Turn those valves to put the tank into bypass for servicing.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(09-18-2022, 08:25 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: Thanks for your help.  Here is the overall system and a closeup of one of the valve heada.  The heads are identical on the neutralizer and resin tanks.  I shined a light through the neutralizer tank and it's nearly 3/4 full so it seems I'm good there for a while as well as on the resin tank for MANY years based on everyone's feedback.

Is it possible to post a picture of the itemized receipt?  Cover the pricing.  Let's see what the annual service includes.  

Also, where do the drain lines run that exit the valve head.  The back flow from the valves is significant and if those small tubes ruin a long way, you may not get proper regeneration.
The heads may be identical on the outside but the piston valve and spacer stack assembly on the insides are most likely different. The softener valve needs to draw brine from the salt tank and provide a backwash function. The calcite tank's valve only needs to provide a backwash function. So, if you ever need to replace the valves (and spacer stack assy), make sure you get the right ones.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay