Wipe-on MINWAX
I asked this in Finishing, but there isn't a lot of traffic there.

...is my go-to for finishing on turnings, mostly bowls.  I use paper towels to apply the finish.  As you might guess, even with three coats, a can last a long time.

Problem: the once thin liquid begins to thicken.  I have added paint thinner several times, with little change seen.

Question: once it begins to "jell", should I just give up and buy a new can?
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
It’s what I’ve used for years on hundreds of bowls. Once it thickens, it’s done. I’ve tried all kinds of ways to “save” it and none worked well.
VH07V  
I cannot comment on the MINWAX.

I can say that I used Deft as a wipe-on on my first successful hollow-form (done in a private class). The wood was very highly figured maple and pretty dry. The wood really sucked up the Deft and darkened so much that much of the figure was no longer visible without a close look.
Sigh

That sort of discouraged me from using wipe-on poly after that.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
You might try some of these STOPLOSS BAGS
https://www.stoplossbags.com
I have not tried them but others who have speak well about their ability to preserve wood finish products.
calabrese55
Deft is a lacquer and definitely amber in color. Oil based poly is amber as well but to a lesser degree, and water based is almost completely clear.

I have had very good results storing waterlox in the stop loss bags. At $30 a quart you have to protect that stuff!
(11-03-2022, 09:31 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: Deft is a lacquer and definitely amber in color.  Oil based  poly is amber as well but to a lesser degree, and water based is almost completely clear.

I have had very good results storing waterlox in the stop loss bags.  At $30 a quart you have to protect that stuff!

who dat??  
Raised

hey there, dusty!  
Big Grin

i really like tru-oil . . . that stuff is great, and real easy to apply.  
Yes
SUP Arthro!?
Sorry we didn't get to meet up in MD.
We are in NC now.
(11-04-2022, 10:48 AM)arthropod98 Wrote: who dat??  
Raised

hey there, dusty!  
Big Grin

i really like tru-oil . . . that stuff is great, and real easy to apply.  
Yes
Same here........since 1970...50yrs experience using it
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I have had good luck with Bloxygen: the odd thing is when you buy a can of this stuff it feels empty..
[Image: 39562-01-1000.jpg]