Dual drum sander or single drum such as 25/50?
I just tried a sample pack of that 3M paper, too.  Cubitron?  I was blown away by how much faster it cuts.  I'll be using it exclusively from now on. 

Looks to me like I need to upgrade my ROS first.  While my ROS65VC is no slouch by any measure, it doesn't measure up to what Mirka and Festool can offer me. 

And yeah, I do need a Shelix head for my planer.  That will probably come even before an upgraded ROS.

Thanks, gents!
Semper fi,
Brad

(09-17-2022, 11:24 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I just tried a sample pack of that 3M paper, too.  Cubitron?  I was blown away by how much faster it cuts.  I'll be using it exclusively from now on. 

Looks to me like I need to upgrade my ROS first.  While my ROS65VC is no slouch by any measure, it doesn't measure up to what Mirka and Festool can offer me. 

And yeah, I do need a Shelix head for my planer.  That will probably come even before an upgraded ROS.

Thanks, gents!

You might also consider Bosch's dual action, can't remember the name/number, but it's like the Festool Rotex with both straight orbital mode for fast stock removal and also random orbit for finishing work.  

I've had both the Delta 18x36 and now a General Int'l 24" dual drum sander.  I would not use them on charcuterie boards if you have a planer with a segmented head and don't have to worry about tear out.  I'd go straight to the dual action sander.  But for what it's worth, I also own the ROS65VC sander and it's no slouch if you start with 60 grit paper.  I've even used 36 grit on it to level table tops and it worked well.  But 60 grit is good for quickly getting rid of milling marks so you can move on to 80 and higher grits.  I know that is contrary to what many say, but it works well and is faster for me than starting with 80 grit.  I even read about people starting with 120 grit straight off the planer. Their planers must produce a much nicer surface than mine or they have a lot of patience, or maybe poor eyesight. 

John
With my Powermatic 100 and Byrd head I could start at 120 grit right off the planer; the cut was *that* good.  Can't do that with the straight blades that I have in my current planer, though.
Semper fi,
Brad

Brad

I have the grizzly duel drum sander and i love how i can put 40 or 60 on the leading roller and 120 to 180 on the back roller and it comes out so nice.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly...der/g1066r

I am sure there are others just as good but I am saying the two rollers are a smash hit for me also if I need a board 1/4" I have done to within .126 to .128 all the way around which is pretty good to me
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Is dust collection a requirement to run a drum sander? Or is it a nice to have? Like, can I run this in my driveway for now, or will I be packing the drum full and make it unusable because I do not have dust collection for it?
Dust collection is a must have for a drum sander.

Ed
Like Ed said, DC is a must have, they generate literal mountains of very fine dust.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I figured as much. Unfortunately, due to the size of my shop, DC is not in the cards at the moment. As it was, I wasn't sure where I'd be putting this drum sander anyway.
(09-22-2022, 01:29 PM)dfess1 Wrote: Is dust collection a requirement to run a drum sander? Or is it a nice to have? Like, can I run this in my driveway for now, or will I be packing the drum full and make it unusable because I do not have dust collection for it?

I don't know about unusable but I'd be concerned about the paper plugging quicker than it would otherwise. I got a crepe rubber stick that I clean the paper periodically to extend its life.