Lamp Table
For as long as I can remember we have had this lamp table in our living room. It has a lamp of course, and a pocket area for books and magazines. It was in a colonial style, and my wife wanted me to re-do it in more of a shaker style. She thought I could just cut off some of the scallops, replace the turnings with plain dowels, and just give it a more straight line look. I thought I could too, to a point, but when I disassembled it, I discovered that not one piece of this thing was actually wood. It's MDF, or some other type of pressed paper product.

So, I opted to just build an entire new table. This one is ALL red oak.

Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Looks like you are off to a good start.

A similar find is how I got into wood working.  We found a "French Oak" bed we liked at a very high-end furniture store.  Their French oak was actually resin wood.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
A bit straighter,  simpler design.[attachment=44340]

Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.