Still using your corded tools if you have the same cordless one?
(09-23-2022, 05:26 AM)KC Wrote: I have a battery operated weed whacker (dewalt) now, but I gave up on cordless shop tools many years back.  I'm sure the technology is better today, but 99.9% of the time, the tailed version is fine.  I've got a lot of extension cord.

That's pretty much where I am. I still use cordless drills/drivers, but nothing else.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
have both a cordless weed wacker and a gas powered one.

the cordless one is great when something just needs a quick trim.

for any serious work, the gas one gets used.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(09-21-2022, 10:05 PM)Bob10 Wrote: I use corded when I know the job is going to drain batteries quickly.  I have  a Milwaukie Portaband corded it wasn't cheap to buy and a cordless replacement isn't inexpensive or a tool I would use often enough to justify.  I am not sure they have a battery equivalent for a hole hawg or Milwaukee right angle.  

Edit to add angle grinder and any saw I am using to cut stone is corded

I've got two Milwaukee rt. angles with stripped gears and my Hole Hawg has it's place, but not for larger hole saws. For those I've learned to take my time and utilize the adjustable clutch feature on my cordless DeWalt drills. I have a much better chance of staying on the ladder when the hole saw jams.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(09-23-2022, 12:18 PM)stav Wrote: I like the idea of battery operated lawn tools but I don't see them having the power of the gas ones.  I used to work lawn maintenance (growing up in FL, that is just a thing everyone seems to do). The gas trimmers had power to spare in the worst of conditions.  Guess that one is all up to what you need.  I would have liked to have the power without the noise.

They have every bit the power of corded or gas ones.  They just can’t run as long.
(09-23-2022, 12:18 PM)stav Wrote: I like the idea of battery operated lawn tools but I don't see them having the power of the gas ones.  I used to work lawn maintenance (growing up in FL, that is just a thing everyone seems to do). The gas trimmers had power to spare in the worst of conditions.  Guess that one is all up to what you need.  I would have liked to have the power without the noise.

You make a great point on trimmers Stav. They are one of those tools that can see a wide range of uses. As a home owner I love my cordless trimmer for going after the mower. It has the torque to keep rotating at a steady speed. My gas trimmer that is now out at the lake home had lots of power but little torque when you were trying to take it easy. It would start to bog down and I would blip the throttle and then it would instantly rev up and turn the grass into a gritty mist that ended up all over my clothing. Out at the lake the wild grass would laugh at my cordless trimmer.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Cordless tools in my equipped shop. Drill and driver. Hate buying new batteries, or new tool, because battery died.
If a commercial shop, cordless on some tools pays off. For a drill, for pocket hole drilling etc, I use corded. Works all day long.
That said, you can't pry my impact driver from my hands!
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
If it's a tool I don't have, I'll lean toward the cordless.

But I'm too cheap to replace a tool just because it has a cord.
I have corded tools where I have made a conscious choice not to replace them with cordless. Festool (track saw, ROS). Dewalt angle grinder, and Makita hammer drill all do plenty good without a cordless backup. Just yesterday, I even replaced a corded lawn edger with a gas powered one. In that case, I wanted the portability of the gas edger with the reliability of the gas engine - and no possibility of having to pause the job because the battery ran out of charge.

Good thread, though. With the potential of a hurricane arriving this week, I think I'll make sure all my cordless tools have freshly charged batteries.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(09-22-2022, 08:56 AM)Roly Wrote: I still use the corded drill to drill pocket holes as the higher RPM seems to work better.     Other drill and driving work I use the cordless.   Roly

It may be different today, but I remember the owner's manual for my Kreg stating a corded drill is preferred to drill the pocket holes.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
The 3 speed DeWalt cordless (not the compact) has plenty of rpm for pocket screws.

Ed