Stairway lift chair recommendation
Anyone have a stairway lift chair for yourself or in a loved one's home?  My mom may need one if/when she returns from rehabbing at a local nursing home.  Her stairway will require a lift that wraps around a 90 deg corner as the stairs goes up 7 steps to a landing and then 7 more steps back the other way.  I'm sure it will be expensive but if it allows her to come home and stay home longer then it will be a good investment.  Any experience/recommendations are gratefully appreciated.  

Oh, in case you've ever wondered if a human's stomach can twist like happens in some dogs, it can.  I hope it's not hereditary.  

John
I'll be watching this since I may be having to get on for my wife.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I see actual home elevators being offered now.

Given your stair layout, this might be a better option.

Here's one, but there are many available: 

https://www.stiltzlifts.com/
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
My folks got one installed in their house this past summer. It's a split foyer...when you come in the front door there are 6-7 stairs going up and 6-7 steps going down. They got two separate Acorn stairlifts, so it requires a transfer in the foyer. There were options to get a continuous unit that would navigate both flights of stairs but lead-time (and perhaps cost) became an issue.

The total cost was about $6K and installed a few days after the order. Install took only an hour or two. Seems to work fine..
(09-22-2022, 10:51 AM)barnowl Wrote: I see actual home elevators being offered now.

Given your stair layout, this might be a better option.

Here's one, but there are many available: 

https://www.stiltzlifts.com/

If they hadn't stolen half of the downstairs/upstairs closets for the AC ducting about 10 years ago, an elevator would have fit in perfectly.  With that option now gone it would take some creativity to fit in an elevator.  Still worth considering though.  Thanks.  

John
(09-22-2022, 01:02 PM)jteneyck Wrote: If they hadn't stolen half of the downstairs/upstairs closets for the AC ducting about 10 years ago, an elevator would have fit in perfectly.  With that option now gone it would take some creativity to fit in an elevator.  Still worth considering though.  Thanks.  

John

FWIW, when we installed our A/C, not wanting to lose any more closet than necessary, 

I designed it so that the 10 riser was half into the stud space, right up to the actual sheetrock. 

So instead of losing 10" of closet, plus a stud space, I actually only lost about 6-1/2" in total.

The existing sheetrock on the outside of the closet, the duct right against it, 

and then a piece of 1/8" melamine on the inside of the closet, right against the duct. 

Realize that the duct is insulated, so allow me the latitude of the explanation as I did for clarity.

I'm sure you get the picture.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
First, have you checked if insurance will cover the cost? If not, I suggest you ask at a local Masonic lodge. I know around here they remove them and offer them to others that need them. The local Senior center may have suggestions too.

Given the way i've abused my body in the construction trades, my wife and I are planning on needing a stair lift and/or elevator. My shop has three levels and I'm already at the point of throwing heavier items into the truck and driving around to the main level. That doesn't work for the top level, so you know those lifts they use to get items stored on the upper racks in the big box stores? I brought one home today. It was the last one for sale and it wasn't selling. If I could use it, and take it today, I could have it. Thank-you Brent.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(09-23-2022, 10:08 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: First, have you checked if insurance will cover the cost? If not, I suggest you ask at a local Masonic lodge. I know around here they remove them and offer them to others that need them. The local Senior center may have suggestions too.

Given the way i've abused my body in the construction trades, my wife and I are planning on needing a stair lift and/or elevator. My shop has three levels and I'm already at the point of throwing heavier items into the truck and driving around to the main level. That doesn't work for the top level, so you know those lifts they use to get items stored on the upper racks in the big box stores? I brought one home today. It was the last one for sale and it wasn't selling. If I could use it, and take it today, I could have it. Thank-you Brent.

Good suggestions.  I haven't talked with the insurance company yet, but from my cursory reading I'm pretty sure they won't cover it.  I never would have thought to ask the Masons, so thanks very much for that idea.  

Unfortunately, I may have some time to work on this.  Mom is not making much forward progress yet.  I think she's going to be at the nursing home for a while.  

John