May I cut away this barrier?
I'm going to need to take many trips to the attic for my remodel.  I have to climb through the hatch in my garage and then squeeze through this opening to get to the attic over the remodel site.  It's a lot smaller than it looks in the pictures.  I was seriously concerned my shoulders would get stuck.

The wood supporting the foil backed hardboard doesn't appear to be structural.  It seems like I can even see gaps.

I don't know enough to know if this is structurally needed to support the roof, but it doesn't seem like it.  I don't even know why it's up there.  Even if I just cut away a 'stud" next to the existing opening, it would make my life so much easier.

What do you think?
Doesn't look structural to me either.
I would remove all or part of it if it makes your task easier.
Hard to think why it's there, if it's for insulation it's not doing much with a hole in it and a gap above it. Does it line up with anything underneath or is it the edge of some structure envelope?
(09-26-2022, 07:49 PM)PossumDog Wrote: Does it line up with anything underneath or is it the edge of some structure envelope?

It's a manufactured house so this partition is between the garage (which I think was built on site) and the kitchen/living room section.
Yep, take it out.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Looks like it just kept the wind from blowing thru while it was going down the highway.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I know some jurisdictions require firebarrier walls in attics, especially with garage involved. I suspect your boards are nailers for firebarrier wall.  I suspect you could cut out enough to make larger hole teo complete your current project and then replace the drywall/hardboard when project done.  having said this and believing it to be true, I am still confused why the barrier doesn't go all the way to roof?
(09-28-2022, 11:35 AM)rayknight Wrote: I know some jurisdictions require firebarrier walls in attics, especially with garage involved. I suspect your boards are nailers for firebarrier wall.  I suspect you could cut out enough to make larger hole teo complete your current project and then replace the drywall/hardboard when project done.  having said this and believing it to be true, I am still confused why the barrier doesn't go all the way to roof?

Only between the garage and living space. From floor, through the attic to the roof line.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(09-28-2022, 08:22 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Only between the garage and living space. From floor, through the attic to the roof line.

looks like they were a bit short gettin to the roof line- if that was intended for fire barrier.
that rafter on the right looks a bit weird.